Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Continental Sport Attacks

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by vic, Jan 24, 2010.

1. I don't like change.

When I find a tyre that I agree with and it agrees with me I tend to stick (pun intended) with them.

I've run Michelin Pilot Powers since 2006. Loved them. Sticky tyre, tonne of confidence, could throw the bike around with them on no worries at all.

However, what I did find with the Michelins is that they "distort" for some reason they go out of shape . When running your hands over the tyre it feels like the tyre is out of round. I haven't noticed any issues with vibrations or etc. The other thing I found with them is that they always have a line running all the way around the tyre, like a seam but not, hard to describe.

Time came to get some new rubber for the 2010 Tassie Trip. I call E2W and ask for a set of Pilot Powers. Got a price, all good. Then I asked, "is there anything that is as sticky as the powers that may last a little longer?"
    I was destroying a set of tyres in around 3,000km after a trip to Tassie.

The shop suggested that I try a set of Conti Sport Attacks. I ummed and ahhed, I read review after review and decided that it would be best if I stuck with the devil that I knew.
    I didn't want to be in Tassie riding at my 10/10ths with unknown rubber underneath me.

The decision was made easier when a fellow rider/member (Pnut) advised me to stay away from the Conti's as they were horrible when he tried them and to go the Pirelli Super Corsa's.

Bugger it, I'll stick with the powers.

Then I thought, hang on, everyone who runs them in the USA and in EU actually swear by them. BMW actually fir them as OEM on the K1200R and a few other models. Which I thought was a fair "plug" for them ;)

You know what, you only live once and you have to try everything once right?

OK, Conti Sport Attacks it was. If anything, I would ride Tassie at a much more sedate pace taking in the scenery if they were not up to scratch.

So I go to the bike shop, have a set of Sport Attacks fitted and ride the 30km home. The bike did not move for 30 or so days. I did not want to commute on them at all before Tassie.

The day to sail to Tassie is here. Load the bike up and ride it the 30km to the ferry.

Get off at Devonport and take off for the epic ride to Hobart, the LONG way (along the East Coast).

Just out of Devonport and the first set of twisty corners that I encounter, I gingerly tip it into a corner, find the exit and screw on a heap of throttle. I experience an ever so slight slide of the rear.
    hmmmm, don't think it was a good idea going the Conti's.

Sedate pace for the next 20km or so until I forgot about the rubber underneath me.

I was wrapping it on reasonably hard out of each corner whilst leant over and it stayed very planted.

Then I thought about the rubber, "hmmm, they feel ok" so I decided to see if I could find their limit. I failed. I got to my limit before the tyres limit so I was pretty happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a fast rider. My knee sliders are still virginal. But I do get the bike over a fair bit. ;) My chicken strips can be measured in mm not inches ;)
    As Dannyboy stated after the first day, "How you didn't scrape anything on that last left hander is beyond me, there was virtually no daylight between you and the road" (shhh, I did scrape the left footpeg feeler).

Now each and every time I was exiting a corner, I was screwing on a heap of throttle and the tyres failed to break traction. No matter how far over I was leaning, there was just an absolute bucket load of grip on offer.

At each stop I'd check the tyres and could see that they were working hard as they were graining all over the place.

I kept running my hand over the tyres and they did not feel as if they were going out of shape like the Powers.
    Early days yet I know.

With each and every day that we rode the confidence was sky high when on the Conti's.

Brilliant tyre in the dry, really sticky, heat up quickly, confidence inspiring. Everything you would want in a tyre right?

Well, that was the dry test, now for the wet test.

The heavens delivered what we asked for and we were off to Southport.

Once in Huonville, I had the bike in 1st gear on a wet road so I gassed it up and the rear was stepping out.
    2nd gear, much the same.
    3rd gear, same.

Hmmm, not the best in the wet it would seem.

Perhaps moving at crawling speed because of all the traffic had them cool down too much?

Once out of Huonville we started to pick up the pace.
    I was screwing on a bit more throttle each time I exited a corner and to my surprise there was grip, a good amount of grip.
    So with each turn, more throttle. I quickly got to the point where I wasn't thinking too much about the tyres breaking traction.

They passed the wet roads test with flying colours.

Their profile is fairly steep like the powers and they wanted to turn very quickly until the tyre flattened out a little to remove the sudden "tip in" factor.

A week later and after 3000km, the rear is almost at the point where it needs to be replaced. I think another 1500km and it will be curtains for the rear. The front has held up considerably well.

After running the hand over the tyre, there is no out of round feeling that I used to get with the powers.

So in summary, the first little slide would have been from the fact that they were not fully scrubbed in yet.

In the dry, they stick like glue.
    In the wet, they stick like glue.
    They wear better than the Powers.
    They wear evenly unlike the powers.
    They are priced on par with the powers. Powers $539, Conti's $538.
    They are my new favourite tyre.

Pnut, you must have had a dodgy set because they don't slip and slide as you described.

Once back from Tassie I saw a friend who was running the Street Attacks (pilot road equivalents) and she too was stocked by them.

I'd recommend them to anyone. Well done Continental.
  2. Thanks for the review!!
    I'll take it on board when i look for my next set of tyres.
  3. Had the Continental Sport and Road attacks on my old GSR600, the missus' GSXR600 and on my GSXR750 and liked them. Great performance in the wet and I liked the handling characteristics of their profiles - quick initial turn in, slows down as angle increases.

Though, they used to be a lot cheaper than most other tyres and at one point had a price increase to cost more than everyone else. It was at that point I switched to Pirelli Diablo Rossos which were cheaper for a similar kind of tyre, bit a different profile in comparison. I haven't taken note of the price difference between the two brands lately, so things may have changed since.
  4. Vic, Give us an update when you've ridden in some really crappy weather. That road in Tassie was more 'damp' than fully soaked.

5. Yeah will do. But at one point the road was wet, the bike in front was throwing up a rooster tail of water and I had no problem with grip.

But will post a follow up when I'm on a really really wet road.
  6. If you love those tyres so much, you must remember you left some behind on LAKE LEAKE ROAD.

7. Ready when you are champ.

I reckon a good 30% of the tyre was left on that road alone :D
  8. My grand plan is to win tatts (one day when I start playing it) buy a house with a mofo garage and a K1300R.

Book flights for the next 12 months and fly across and go for a ride each week :D
  9. Out of interest, what pressures were you running?

The least I've got out of a set of powers is 4000-5000kms but I ride rather sedately. Unfortunately the combination of alot of commuting and riding in general makes softer compounds stupidly expensive for me, not to mention the inconvenience of needing new tyres every other month.
  10. Not sure what I'm doing differently but my powers have lasted almost 12,000 so far on the storm. Quite close to the markers now though.
  11. Maybe i did.. If i try another set i will try Conti Race Attacks instead 8-[
  12. Thats pretty good. I've probably managed that much from a front power before, but absolute max I've had from a rear was around 8000kms.. when I first got the bike ;)
  13. 36 Front
    42 Rear

Most I've ever gotten on a rear power is 5,500km, the least I've gotten was 2,500km

The conti's are holding up way better so far
  14. Weight and power is a killer for tyre lifespan. A big rider on a big powerful bike will chew through tyres twice as fast as a light rider on a light moderately powered bike.

Low tyre pressure is also a big killer of tyres. For most who ride on the road, you can still happily drag your knees in safety at 38f/42r pressures, but many will drop their pressures to 32/32, or even lower, because that's what track day punters do for peak grip, and chew through tyres twice as fast for no real gain. You simply don't go as quick on the road as you do on the track.

The quicker you ride, the quicker you'll chew through tyres. At 12,000 kms it doesn't sound to me like you're aggressive with the throttle and braking, and are most likely just commuting about a lot with a gentle throttle hand.
  15. Actually Flux I vary rarely commute, bike is used mostly for pleasure. For the sake of anyone who's interested I'm 90kg and run 42/36 back/front.

Although the Storms not a modern day supersport I would say it's certainly classed as powerful. I'm no expert rider either but have almost used to edge of the tyre.

Maybe it's due to the fact I quite often have to ride a large distance to start the 'ride'. I find myself riding to Ballarat (110kms) or Healesville (75km) to meet people before the ride has even started.

Oh and one other thing which may contribute: While riding casually I rarely use the rear brake. I figure it's getting enough compression braking from the twin, that by using front brake only I'm keeping the wear even.

Anyway I don't mind a power lasting 12k based on others experiences in here :)
  16. For spirited road riding 34 front and rear is normal cold temps. your optimal road temps for hot yres is 37psi. I am talking about sports bikes here, not cruisers. At 42psi cold for sportsbikes the tyre is like a brick and will not adhere to the road under spirited riding.

We run conti race attacks fronts and sport attacks rear and get about 2-3000 per set. Great tyres and it will be a while before I try something else.
  17. I ran the rear at 42 all week in Tassie and it not once broke traction when riding lake leake rd at 10/10ths.
    Actually, other than that little slip at the start of the ride, there was no movement at all.
  18. 4000km, that is all I got out of the Conti's.

Admittedly, they did have a really really hard life for the first 3000km.

I checked the rear again today and it's rooted, the tread pattern is starting to become non existent. Time for another Conti Sport Attack ;)

Although, I might go a Road attack seeing as I mainly commute. tossing up, grip over longevity.........hmmmmm
  19. In all respect, thats an easy question. you couldnt find the tyres limits riding at 10/10th's. How often, if ever, will you ride like that now you are back home? Even when you head for the hills will you be doing 10/10ths? You might even be surprised at the grip level of the Roads (not that I've ever tried them).

The least they will do is save you money...
  20. Give the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's a go vic.

They're the OEM tyre on the buell and its had 4,800km so far (of not easy throttle application but some hills and some commuting) and they look like they will hopefully get another 3k.
    plus the grip is fantastic especially when warm.