Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

contemplating backward step.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Guys,

this is not the first thread where a person suggests going back to a smaller capacity mbike. they pop up every few weeks/months.

although i have been regularly reading mbike magazines for about 8 years, i only been a mbike rider for 3 years. so i am not in the know of the technical side of mbikes like the most of you. all i know is what i FEEL on the mbike.

i cut my teeth on a 250 kawaski Eliminator. 165kg or so. i loved every single experience on that bike, even though i wasnt fast (still not) around corners or in a straight line. i waited till the year was up, and like my peers, i immediately bought a bigger mbike. the M50. with the welcome increase in power, was a hefty increase in weight. about 100kgs worth. i thought i was set up now with nice mbike, not lacking in power up the hills anymore....all good.

then soozie (wife) got sick of sitting on the back of my m50 and got her own licence. i bought the hyodung gv250 for her. so after a year of getting used to 270kg, i tried the 250 (160kg) on the same roads, same conditions.....no contest, the hyodung wins. our favourite loop is 70kms (one way) of hairpins, tight twisty roads with very little time in a straight line. the difference is that i feel i am riding the hyodung, but i am coaxing the M50. i tried this experiement on a few of our favourite loops, and the same result everytime.....the hyodung was more 'involving' during the ride. that extra 100kg makes a hellova difference for me (lacking in skills).

there is an opportunity to revert back to a nice version of my old 250 cruiser. the dealer that has one, is interested in my M50, so its a case of crunching numbers now. the problem is that i still love my m50, it is a beautful machine, stunning colour and 100% reliable (unlike the hyodung). i cant afford 3 mbikes in the family.

whats most important......grunt or agility in tight corners?

2. If it was grunt, you would have gone for the 109.

If it was agility in the corners then you would have gone for a GSXR.

How about having both and get a Blackbird? Ok that is a compromise.

Ride whatever puts a smile on your face. No one bike will do all you want, everywhere.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. It's an interesting conundrum; my only concern would be that in a year or so's time you might find the smaller bike boring and inadequate and want to upgrade again..

why not go to something in the middle; a 750 naked bike, for example?
  4. Given you are looking at cruisers, the question of which corners best is kind of redundant.

As for what you should do, well that's a question that only you and your bank manager can answer.
  5. I'd actually say neither.

Skill is far more important than either.

Get some training.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. four stroke 250's suck on the road

ever heard of a sportbike or a sport-tourer?

grunt, agility, and light weight!
  7. Try telling that to anyone who owns or has owned a 250 Hornet, or a 250 mini-Bandit...
  8. yeah but you own a 750

250's are okay at first, but once you try a bigger engine they suck
  9. Sounds like you've discovered that cruisers have a pretty narrow focus.

The issue is not really about capacity.

As has already been suggested, try some nakeds, try some sports tourers etc.

You can have your cake and eat it too.
  10. a LAMS sport bike may weigh 150-175kg? i dont know

so when you get off lams, and buy your first real sport bike grunt machine, most of the time you probable gained 10-25 kilos? i dont know, just guessing.

bearing in mind i am 5'7, around 80kg, a 250 mini cruiser is not heavy, at 165kg, but you can jump 150kg in one hit of you buy a real big cruiser.

that is a HELLOVA lot of weight to add just for the prviledge of having a grunty mbike. i suppose if you just sat on a big freeway and did big miles and not really interested in twisties, then it woudnt matter. WE love the tight twisties!

im seeing the dealer tomorrow. i dont think i can let go of my MINT M50.....but if this Eliminator is as good as my old one, i may do it. heart v Head. same old story.....
  11. Whilst you find the wife's 250 great fun, i reckon you would very quickly miss the power of the M50 and regret parting with it. Very quickly.

I think you should try a different style of bike and see how it goes. As suggested above, a sport tourer might be a great test ride, not sure which one though.
  12. Get a 600-800cc naked. The best of both worlds. Comfy and they handle. If you only do corners and love them, why restrict yourself to a cruiser?
  13. You really love the twistys and you bought a cruiser?.......go figure?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. vt 400.
    virago 550.
  15. Try sitting on a few other bikes. That why Iended up with vstroms as well as the vstar. Both are fun, but for different reasons.

It's a bit like cars. I have the station wagon to carry the kids and cello, and a 4wd ute for the trips to the beach. Different vehicles for different purposes.

Oh, btw. I have 4 bikes and am already thinking about the next one.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. also....^^^this^^^.....you can have 3 bikes ! why lose out on money trading in your big bike to the stealers....just find a nice lil 250 cruiser for sale privately and haggle the price down abit.

17. ^^ What he said, but it does sounds like you need to shop around and take a few test rides.

Sometimes you get shit about your choice, but at the end of the day what you enjoy is all that matters.
  18. he's already purchased a Hyosung...he knows.
  19. It always makes me smile when I see someone knocking Hyosungs and the like - anyone who was around when Japanese bikes 'arrived' will remember all the same criticisms.

Nope, Japanese bikes will never take off and won't last. They're copies of 'real' bikes and no real rider would have one. :poop: