Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

considering to buy VFR800 2002, last minute Qs and doubts

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by snu, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Hi

After reading endless amount of reviews and opinions I'm considering to buy VFR800. I found one (2002 model) that looks alright but I have few last minute concerns.

few questions/concerns:
    1. What's your opinion on the early V-TEC models. I've read few negative reviews on the power jump in the middle and how dangerous it is when it happens while cornering, for example. But how bad it actually is?

2. What are the known problems of the bike? I found one thread so far - https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=84191.
    Is it something that can be identified before buying? How much can it cost to repair?

3. What are the running cost for the bike? This article http://bikes.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=68351 mentions "50,000km service includes VTEC checks and can be expensive". How much does it costs? What are the regular ongoing service/repairs cost? Does V-TEC makes significant difference?
    Budget is important to me, I hope to keep running costs to minimum and expect Honda to be reliable.

2. Well, unless you're wedded to the somewhat "Origami" style of the 2002 -> bike, then the "Klingon" (1998-2001) is a better buy.

1. The VTEC "kick" is worst in the first model and, short of spending a poultice of money on curing it, there's not much you can do about it. It is an unnececessary bit of kit that Honda would have done much better to leave out.

2. The only reliability factor is the Reg/Rec which, if it hasn't been replaced already, WILL fail at some stage, probably soon. A good new one will cost around $200 and you should have it fitted with a big chunk of alloy plate under it to help disappate the heat. You shouldn't need to worry about it again.

3. Servicing costs are considerably higher than the previous models due to the complexity of the VTEC heads. A Honda dealer will be able to give you exact figures for the regular services required as well as service intervals. You can do oil and filter changes yourself and save a lot of money that way.

Honda's build quality is legendary and the longevity of the VFR likewise. I don't like the "Origami" but lots of owners do, so you pays your money and you makes your choice. Good luck.

Don't forget, if you do buy a VFR, to join ozvf
  3. dude you are opening such a can of worms here. I did a lot of research when I was going to buy a VFR800. There are sooooo many different opinions out there. I ended up with a BMW F800ST, but i liked the VFR and Triumph Sprint ST too. From all the reading I did I think you'll be very happy with a VFR. Just go for it and you'll forget about all the potential downsides once you are out on the road.
  4. Thanks guys!

Yes, I do like Origami style more but not wedded, still considering. Thanks a lot for your answers.

Yes exactly, so many to choose from.
    I've narrowed it down to VFR800 but still unsure either "Origami" or "Klingon"
  5. Remember, too, that if you buy the "Origami" you won't have that wonderful whining sound from the gear-driven overhead cams that all VFR's up till 2002 had!! Worth considering...
  6. I spoke to a mechanic and he says that servicing V-TEC is more expensive but only by ~30%. Given that it only needs to be done every 24k I guess that could be ok..

but now you got me thinking again

So if I may ask another nooby question - how much the changes between 98-99 models and 00-01 models are significant?
    (2000: Honda VFR800i gets minor update; slight frame changes, modified clutch, refined fuel injection, more durable electrics, improved mirrors, HISS security system.)

7. I've got no vested interest here. I just don't especially like what Honda did to the last of the line VFR's, that's all. The changes that you have mentioned are the only ones of any significance. Honda left the Gen 5 pretty much alone until 2000.

Another thing to consider is that the muffler arrangement on the Gen 6 effectively doubles the costs if you want to go to an after-market arrangement. A high-rise Staintune for a "Klingon" will cost around $700 new but the same for the "Origami" is over $1500.

Of course, if you decide to go 5th Gen you will inevitably be buying an older bike, but since the VFR is noted for its longevity and also for holding its value (and also collecting myriads of loyal owners), that possibly won't be a major consideration.