Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Considering '89 CBR250R (Australia). Lend me advice?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by TCoops, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I've been looking at later model CBR250RR's and could take them or leave them. Mainly because of the high miles, high price, and shabby condition of what I've been seeing. I'm sure eventually I'll find a good one though.

Hunting today, I found a very good condition 1989 CBR250R(import) less than 10,000km and I'm impressed. Not committing to a purchase just yet.

Do you think I'll have problems finding spare parts for it in Australia? Any other advice you could give me?

Thanks in advance

2. I am in no way experienced in these matters but looking at the year of manufacture and the kms I would be pretty suss.

3. Yup. The odometer's either false, actually 110,000kms or the bike's been sitting a long, long time somewhere without moving. Neither option is good as far as reliability goes.

4. how much cheaper is this 250r compared to the 250rr's you've been looking at? because at that age its almost twice as old (19 years, vs some 8.5 years of the newer 250rr's)

also, the odo can be wound back with a screwdriver so i really wouldn't prioritise that as a reason to buy. i've been shopping for 250rr's these past two weeks and some which claim to have 20 thousand odd k's are just outright bullshitting.

dont give up, find a well kept 250rr and pay extra for it, you won't regret it in the long run.

5. I think you'll find the absolute youngest a CBR250RR can be is 12 years old, production ceased in '96 ;).

6. actually i was going to base my final decision apon going over it with a fine tooth comb and thorough test drive. The actual age (km) will be obvious then.

I'm suspicious of the mileage but it CAN happen. I've bought an old honda before which was just like that. Was a weekend toy for some old dude, who just got old and let it age in the shed. Was immaculate after a good 'dust off'. Oh well, we'll see!

This example is about 2k-2.5k cheaper than most leaky CBR250RR's i've had the mispleasure of inspecting. First glance it appears VERY clean (immaculate). I'll know more when I go back with my toolkit for seconds.

Unfamiliar with the particular model in Australia though. Not sure whether it'll be a biatch to find parts for or not. Or whether there is any danger signs I should be concentrating on. I hear nothing but good things about CBR250's otherwise..

I can keep holding out for a great condition CBR250RR but will it happen?

7. Its not too hard, everything is available on ebay from an australian dealer. usually southern cross motorcycles (fantastic guys to work with). Just don't expect to be able to walk into your local honda store and get your parts without a wait if you don't want to use ebay.

The only thing with this particular model is that the fuel tap seems to go fairly easy. I've seen a few like it, and if you take it to most shops, they will just say "Its built into the tank, you need a new tank", but its a $30 part from ebay, and its a simple unbolt/bolt on, while the tank is on its side. Also the only other thing I can suggest is getting one of those screw tightening clamps for the plastic part of the fuel tap, where it connects to the metal gets worn out and you just stick one of those suckers on around the plastic to fix it.

8. think about it... would you buy an 89 model car?

cbr250rr's are overpriced, old and dont have much of a performance increase over the other 250's to justify the xtra cost.

9. Plenty of people would - if it offered a better performance, or even just better looks, than a modern car for the same money. For example:
    89 Model Car
    Toyota-MR2-Mk2-Revision-1-Yellow.
    2008 Model Car
    [​IMG]
    I know which one I'd much rather drive (because I've driven both and I bought the first one ;)).

Of course it's true that some CBRs are overpriced, but if you can get one cheap enough and/or in good condition then go for it. A parallel-4 is a totally different thing to ride than a twin, and if looked after even an old CBR will still be reliable and handle well.

10. Would I buy a 89 car? *spits out coffee

I've been driving an '82 RWD coupe for the last 10 years. Thrashed the hell out of it off road and I regularly take it drifting. It only costs me consumables (tyres, oil, plugs ect) and is an absolute pleasure to handle. Feels and sounds like a real car, not modern plastic. Absolute bullet proof, simple to maintain (minimalist technology. I open the hood and know whats what), not a theif magnet and is cheap to insure. I laugh at how much car, and fun, I have considering what I pay. Its done 400k now (mainly due to me) and still feels plum. If I do slide it off a cliff, I'd probably go hunting for another mid 80's. Total respect for old school, specially when I hear my friends sobbing about paying $$$ for replacing a computer chip, or having to remove half the engine to replace an oil filter (crammed in modern FWD engine bay).

Given the chance I would choose old school over new! IF its viable. Bikes are different to cars, they seem to have a much shorter shelf life for some reason. But if parts are available, I'll definitely go for it.

I just like the looks, sounds, and feel of the CBR250RR. Reviews say its similarly bulletproof and easy to work on. The closest competition for my 'little sportsbike' project is ninja250r. God bless it, but I just don't think its sporty enough. High handlebars which look goofy, upright commuter seating position, engine sound doesn't get my blood pumping (even with two-bros exhaust) and I'll pay quite a bit for the after run-in services. If they made a ninja250RR I might consider it:)

I'd also consider a newish Mito or Aprilia, but i've been warned against using 2-stroke as a daily commuter, especially getting up and go on cold mornings. I really can't think of any bike that fits my needs like the CBR250R would.

11. Be sure to have a look at the other 4-cylinder sports 250s: eg, Kawasaki ZX2R, Yamaha FZR250, and Suzuki GSXR250. All are grey import only but should still be relatively easy to source consumable items (ie filters and easily broken items like levers, indicators etc). The GSXR in particular I know shares a lot of parts with other models that were sold here.

12. Caution and patience will be your too allies, during the purchase of an older 250.

BRK

13. Shares a fiar few parts with the accross, but iirc its the least common import, and as such will probably be the hardest to find the specific parts. Not saying it would be impossible, but I know I've never had problems with my cbr250r.

If its the bike you like, then there should be nothing stopping you from getting it.

14. Depends what you're after. Late 80's/early 90's was when Suzuki basically only had one spare part which covered everything they made (for example my oil-cooled 750 uses the same oil filter as the water-cooled, 250cc, GSXR/Across). It was only later they (and other manufacturers) realised how much more money they could make by coming up with a different oil filter, air fillter etc. for every single bike. Only time you need to go scrounging for parts from wreckers/importers is if you break something specific to that bike, which for the GSXR is really only the frame and fairing.

15. thanks, I might start looking at those bikes too

16. that is a bit sus
    i like to tell by the brake discs see if they are 10,000 ks worn or 110,00
    also a compression gauge will do wonders.
    btw i personally seen diffrent speedos put in the instrument panel on some greys. So its a bit of a lucky dip. But if u check all the mechanics go for it.

17. read a post on this forum that parts for an 89 cbr250r would be a biatch to find because it is jap import. Whereas an RR is easier because there are more here, Aust import, ect. True?

18. I've had a few '89 model cars', 180sx's and silvias and whoever reckons those are reliable is on crack. maybe its just because nissans are buckets of shit.

I had an ae86 before, that had 350,000 km and was going strong, so you do have a point. but i wasn't talking about sports cars. i was talking about shit box camry's and magnas. much prefer my nice newer car over those things. just like id prefer a nice newer bike over a 20 yr old expensive piece of poo

anyway i still reckon cbr's are too expensive to justify their prices. if they were as much as a similar age zzr/gpx then i would definitely get one.

19. Bingo. Poorly designed, low output engines that simply had turbos bolted on to bring the power level up to a reasonable level (though not much more than some natrually aspirated engines with the same displacement). Fitting aftermarket performance parts and/or fiddling with boost pressure only made things worse. Sad part is they're still producing dodgy engine designs (Nissan Patrol for example).

20. Sorry dude, bit off topic, but just out of interest what dodgy stuff are they doing? I heard the 3 litre turbo diesel could be a bit of a grenade but apart from that i thought they were pretty good?