Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Conquering NSW

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by vahramh, Sep 6, 2016.

1. So the Mrs and I are getting addicted to Christmas break touring. With Tassie and SA under our belt, it's time to conquer NSW.

The tentative itinerary looks like this:

Melbourne - Omeo - Thredbo

A couple of nights in Thredbo, walk to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko

Thredbo - Goulburn - Katoomba - Sydney

4 nights in Sydney - getting there on New Years Eve, watching the fireworks, catching up with mates.

Sydney - Wollongong - Tathra - Lakes Entrance - Melbourne.

Any comments / suggestions / pictures of faces green with envy would be greatly appreciated :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Definitely Omeo to Tallangatta by the Anglers Rest Mitta Mitta route.

Elliot Way between Khancoban and Tumbarumba
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. On the way back I'd recommend going down to Tathra but turning inland at Merimbula - Wyndham and staying at Bombala. The Bonang highway, which goes south from Bombala to Orbost has 110km's of twisties on it. 10km of dirt you can do at 10km/h if you need to.

Stay in the Imperial hotel at Bombala. It's amazing.

Also I wouldn't be too keen on staying in Thredbo over summer. It's pretty depressing and still expensive, even though it's the off season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If you are planning to do the New Years eve thing - try and book access into a venue nice and early (like this week) to ensure you get a good vantage point. There are many free areas to watch from, but the getting there and back bit can be a pain.

Options are the Royal Botanical gardens next to the Opera house have various options - from picnics to food service. Or book a boat dinner cruise for the best view.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. yeah put me down for a green face :grumpy:

sounds awesome!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Hillsy, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Another vote for the Bonang, don't miss that road.

You might find a few NR names if you look close
    2016-09-06 20.08.11.

Also in nsw consider coming through Kangaroo Valley, Mac Pass and then The Royal National Park from the Gong
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. So much goodness around the areas your visiting and QuarterWitQuarterWit and HillsyHillsy are bang on......do the Bonang if havent already.
    Tathra > Candelo > Wyndham > Mount Darrah > Bombala is great fun.
    Out of Sydney head to the Royal National Park > Stanwell Tops > Robertson via Macquarie Pass > Kangaroo Valley and then head down the coast.
    If you can squeeze another 2 - 3 days in I highly recommend heading up to Port Macquarie to do the Oxley Hwy.
    Give us a shout when in the area, would be happy to show you around my backyard
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wow, thanks for the info guys! The benefits of consulting people who know :)

Plans changed accordingly:

1. Omeo to Thredbo - via Mitta Mitta.
    2. Removed Goulburn from overnight stay plans - from Thredbo will go straight to Katoomba, and stay there two nights instead of one - apparently there's some touristy stuff to do there.
    3. On the way back - instead of Wollongong we'll stop in Nowra to gain some time for next day.
    4. Instead of Tathra stay in Bombala (going via Moruya - Tathra - Candelo).
    5. Take Bonang Rd to Lakes Entrance.

cjvfrcjvfr - yeah, Elliot Way looks nice, but couldn't fit into the one-day window between Omeo and Thredbo, as I've promised my wife that there'll be no more than 6 hrs riding per day.
    QuarterWitQuarterWit - thanks for the tip. No probs with the dirt road, I just hope it's not a proper dirtbike route with huge bumps and river crossings, just an unsealed road, right?
    HillsyHillsy - That's an awesome photo! There'll be one with us in it soon!
    icemakericemaker - thanks for the offer to show around your backyard, I might shorten the Sydney part of the trip and do that, if I'm not too drunk. Actually thinking about it, and knowing my Sydney mates, that's not likely :)

Now fingers crossed for accommodation availability.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Really? Via M31? My intention was to go via Taralga, so you're saying the freeway is more interesting?
  10. No, no, no, Goulburn > Taralga > Oberon > Katoomba, its should be blue on the map.
  11. I like this one:
    Take Great Western Hwy/A32, Jenolan Caves Rd, Duckmaloi Rd, Shooters Hill Rd ... and Taralga Rd to Goulburn
  12. If you have time from Thredbo go Khancoban > cabramurra > Tumut > Boorowa > Crookwell > Taralga > Oberon > Katoomba
    Awesome run that.
  13. Cool, thanks. That was the plan. Google maps can be funny - it recalculated the route when I opened it, so showed the freeway in blue
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I'm getting to Katoomba the other way - from south. But the plan is to take A32 / B59 on the way from Katoomba to Sydney.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Nothing like that - just an unsealed road.

I've done it on an SR400 twice, Bonneville twice, DR650 and Ducati Scrambler and each time it's been a piece of piss. My girlfriend, with four hours riding experience did it on a VTR250 without any problems at all. It's a cinch - and easily worth the 110km of twisties you get. Gorgeous ride.

If you're looking for accomodation in the area I can't recommend the Imperial Hotel in Bombala enough. $40 for a room. Priceless chats with the publican.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Yes. Andrew West, Sneo and I did Goulburn > Taralga > Oberon > Duckmaloi > Vic pass earlier in the year and was great. Watch out for the Abercrombie river gorge though
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah its one of my fav loops that I do quite often in daylight savings time.
    Wollongong > Richmond > Lithgow > Oberon > Taralga > Crookwell > Nerriga > Kangaroo Valley > Wollongong = 700km odd of goodness!!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1