Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Confused by gloves

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Aly, Aug 28, 2011.

1. I thought I would find it really hard to find gloves that fit but it turns out the motorcycle world actually makes heaps of gloves for people with midget hands. Now that I have a choice, I have no idea what I need and would love some advice. How much protection is enough? Do I need those hard bits over the knuckles or is that overkill? I work with my hands so keeping them safe is extra important.

What type/brand have other ladies bought?
  2. Make sure you get them with the knuckle protectors. Gauntlet style gloves do a better job of protecting the wrists. Don't skimp on cheap gloves, they are the only thing between your hands and the nasty asphalt/bitumen. Look for gloves that have kangaroo leather.
  3. I would definitely get the hard protection on the knuckles etc. Also, it's best to have the gauntlet style that come up your arm a big, else your wrists can cop it if the jacket comes up a bit. ($0.02)
  4. Thank you both. That answers the two main questions I had.

Is Kangaroo leather not softer and therefore weaker than cow leather? What about goats leather?
  5. I think it is softer but offers more abrasion resistance than cow hide leather.
  6. I don't know about the leather. Haven't bothered to worry about what the type is. Perhaps I should, don't know.

Make sure there is good coverage on the palms too.
  7. try cat leather or even dog
  8. I dont have a cat or dog on hand but there is a roo standing in my backyard at the present moment. Roast and gloves tonight?
  9. Before we eat though, do you have any actual advice to add?
  10. Humour is good. Bad advice to new riders is not funny.

Kangaroo skin is good. It's thin and light and flexible, but very strong and tear resistant and has good abrasion resistance. About the only bad thing is that being thin, heat from friction will come through it.

You can pay an awful lot of money for a pair of gloves and quickly realise they're no damn good, or no good for you. They have to protect your hands in a fall, yes, but you also have to wear the damn things, and still operate the controls and ride properly. Try them on and then grip something about the size of a handlebar - a cigarette lighter perhaps - for a few minutes and see whether the plates and joints and hinges and stuff actually line up with where the bendy bits in your fingers are. Are they so loose you can't operate the indicators and the high beam switch effectively? Do they bunch up at the palm and then try and stop your fingers opening when you need to get on the brake or clutch? Do they bunch and stop the clutch coming out in a controlled way, causing a big rev and then a lurch and wheel-stand? Are they too tight, and restrict circulation so your hands go numb after ten minutes? You can't ride properly if you can't feel your hands.

Are they summer or winter gloves? Are they waterproof? If so, do they breathe? Because waterproof gloves can be waterproof from the inside out as well as from the outside in. Ventilated summer gloves are usually hot in summer anyway, and absolutely useless for keeping warm in winter.

Does the closure system make sense? If you put them on, can you get them off (easily) without undoing anything? If you can, they'll most likely come off in an accident, possibly before your hand even reaches the road. If not, does the fastener system make sense? Close your eyes and take them off. Can you do it? Could you put them on in the dark?

Gloves are like shoes. They should be good shoes, but they should also be the right shoe for you, and what you intend to do in them. Just because lots of people like a brand doesn't mean they're right for what you need.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. hard knuckels gauntlet style gloves make sure there comffy in winter were thermal gloves underneath i like mine medium rare thanks
  12. Thank you very much kneedragon. I'll go back and try them all on again with that in mind.
  13. or the option is to get 2 sets of gloves summer and winter. I bought the winter ones 1st but it's to warm so I now bought summer ones.

Both are
    or the option is to get 2 sets of gloves summer and winter. I bought the winter ones 1st but it's to warm so I now bought summer ones.

Both are:

• gauntlet style
    • hard knuckels

And most important comfy.
  14. You will need 2 pairs though. One for winter & one for summer.

I started with one winter pair 4 months ago & now I've 5 (A mix of normal & summer). :D
  15. kangaroo offers better feel and is usually used in the palm side for this on higher end gloves. it's thinner and more supple but not neccessarilly tougher. does not offer more abrassion protection than cow or goat.
    if you opt for hard knuckle protectors, look for floating ones. otherwise articulation will be restricted in the gloves.
    if you should be so unfortunate as to be tossed from your steed; (and lets face it, you are a midget, so being thrown or tossed around happens frequently) it is more likely the outside or palm of your hand will be dealing with the road. this part of the glove needs to be heavy duty and well constructed with no external seams. seams are the weakest part of any leather garments. look for extra layer of leather at base of palm and covering your pinky and down that side of your hand. and/or hard sliders in these areas. most common damage you are likely to incur in and off, would be to the pinky or palm of your hand after the seams give out. some higher end gloves stitch the pinky and ring finger together or give you the option to connect the two.

as mentioned, most important is do they stay on your hand. can you pull them of when fitted (yes, i know greg can pull of when fitted) without a closure system incorporated at the base of the wrist, they likely can. not much point wearing them if they don't fit securely. because the won't stay on when needed.
  16. When buying gloves, I think it's good to invest in innner gloves as well. Not mandatory but helps during long rides. IMO. Plus excellent in winters for that extra warmth.

17. see this thread for pictures to what can happen to your gloves in a low speed high side

because I had full gauntlet gloves with knuckles protectors I had zero injury to my hand

if I didn't have the knuckle protection I would have ground off at least 2mm from my knuckle bones