Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cone placings on MOST weave test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Lightsaber, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The cone weave and U-turn on the RTA’s MOST instructions has a diagram and describes the cone placings as “Cones at 4.0m spacings with a 0.6m offset”

Does the 0.6m offset mean that when looking along the direction of the ride (let’s call that the “X axis”, the imaginary centre line) that the cones are 0.6m apart along the Y axis at each cone placing, ie 0.3m alternatively each side of the imaginary centre line?

Or are they each alternatively 0.6m to the left or right of the imaginary centre line?

I visited the Campbelltown Rider Training Centre when I had time off over the Christmas/New Year break and to be honest, the markings were so worn, I just couldn’t work it out.

I’m asking as my MOST is coming up in a few weeks. I’d love to attend the Saturday learner sessions, but that’s just a little problematical for me for now.

2. Correct
  3. And if you practice with a 1m offset, you will ace the MOST on the day.

(Especially if you practice the U turn in two car spots (~5m) and remember the headchecks)
  4. Thanks Brmmm. Much appreciated.

Practicing a U turn in a ~5m space will be interesting. According to the CB400 Owner's Manual, the bike has a 2.6m minimum turning radius, which I presume is a 5.2m turning circle!
  5. Presumably that's with the bike upright. Once you get it leaning a bit (esp w counter balancing) it can definitely go less than 5.2m. I manage around 5m on mine and I'm by no means an expert.
  6. I just did the test on the weekend, so it's quite fresh in my mind.

With the U-turn, I found it easy in practice because the track was laid out so that I could enter it on an angle already, but in the test it was coming into it straight which made it tricky for me to get the turn within the circle. I actually went over the designated line...

One thing I can say is that when doing the test, it's better to go over the line a little rather than putting your foot down, it's less points off.

With the cone weave, one guy struggled because his bike was too big for him, (had a GS500) and he struggled with the slow speed, but ended up getting it after a bit of practice during the day.
  7. Not according to the first post in this thread: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showpost.php?p=1712613&postcount=1

Which is correct?
  8. For what its worth, my son did his test last year on a GS500 and absolutely aced the cone weave. I tried it in my 1200 Bandit (at the netrider MOST practice set up at Homebush) and couldn't get through the cone weave (I have held a license for over 30 years so its doesn't matter). My son had difficulty on the U turn whilst I found it easy on the Bandit. Many thanks to netrider for having the leaner MOST set up at Homebush. It was there that my son did his practice which meant he easily completed the test when he went for it
  9. Only guy who had a problem was a guy on a 650 LAMS yamaha cruiser and he only knocked one cone and aced the u-turn. I was practicing 2 car spots on my ninja and found that do-able pretty easy after a bit of practice so the actual u-turn was easy as
  10. To Make a bigger bike ride through the cone weaves or the U turns,fig 8's so forth is counterbalance. Not over balance...leaning out.
    When I look at people coming through the slaloms I am looking at their upper half.
    Whilst it should be moving it should look like it isn't. And to do that your really need to use your hips and let the bike roll under you.
    So I look for the flop flop of the bike going through the cones is sweet and consistent. But more importantly I am looking at the upper half making sure it looks like it's centered, loose not moving around.
    That will keep you in perfect balance, keeping the bike feeling stable and letting it lean further creating a smaller turning radius. = making it easy and looking good :)
  11. Totally off topic.. but I did my MOST test here.. they're quite unforgiving (as they all are I suppose)

When I did practice runs here, worn as hell too, but I used chalk I just so happen to have found in one of the Tafe rooms to help me see them better.

Keep practicing. take a break every 10-ish minutes to think about where you could do better, or what would make it easier. I went as far as practicing every day for a couple of hours, and nailed the test.. but dont ask me to do the test now.. I'd probably fail miserably!!
  12. That's what the instructor told me, I may be wrong, if it states that in the other post though, but it does state that it's not official.

"The following have been garnered from what instructors have told people during the test. It is not official and some people report differences:"

The instructor told me he was looking for the ability to control the bike, and putting your foot down meant that you didn't have control.
  13. #13 Tone2, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    My understanding is 5 points for crossing a line. It's 1 point for a foot down.
  14. #14 natzca, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Fair enough, I didn't get a breakdown of what the points cost me, because I didn't care much since I passed, just went on what the instructor told me.

but yeah seems like the above points is how it's counted