Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Computer Problem - Help Please

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Spiky, May 15, 2005.

1. There seems to be an expert for everything here, so maybe someone can solve this one:

When I open up video files they sometimes (maybe 40% of the time) appear as mainly solid colour blocks - usually reds or greens. I can just about see what's going on, but the action is represented by only one or two colours. The vid of the car catching light on a recent post is one I've been unable to view, amongst others. I've recently changed my pc (didn't have this problem before) and run Windows Media Player to open the files.

Whad'ya reckon computer heads?

2. You need to update your Codecs?

What version of Media Player do you have?

Have you tried a different player?

3. 1. Errr.......Codecs?

2. The latest I guess. Downloaded it from MS in the last month

3. Nope, could this help?

4. 1.

A codec is like a key. eg, if you downloaded an ignition lock, you will need to right key to open it. Thats a codec. Or for a geeky definition,

Codec is a portmanteau of "coder/decoder", which describes a device or program capable of performing transformations on a data stream or signal. Codecs can both put the stream or signal into an encoded form (often for transmission, storage or encryption) and retrieve, or decode that form for viewing or manipulation in a format more appropriate for these operations. Codecs are often used in videoconferencing and streaming media solutions.
    Click here for more info

Latest is Version 10

Yes, it would discount whether or not the file you are attempting to play is corrupt or if it is in fact your player that is missing some codecs.

5.  Top
  6. DivX = Xvid backwards

:?

7. Yes. Before there was DivX ;), which was a hack of a pre-existing codec. Then one group decided to make an independent commerical DivX version. However another group decided commerical wasn't the way to go, so they made XviD, an open source video codec.

But both are ISO MPEG-4 compliant.

I believe that currently XviD ranks at higher compression and quality than DivX.