Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

computer parasites

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sleepa, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hi all
    My Broadband has gone back to dial up speed. I'm only guessing but I think I'm carrying a few parasites. Something popped up a few days ago offering there services and I declined it, since then it has become worse.
    I'm running Trend Micro for my anti virus.
    Can anybody suggest a safe cure. Thanks.

2. spybot. I swear by it. Picks up most spyware/trojans.

If it comes up that it cant delete something, or the scan finishes amazingly quickly (or just to be safe) start up the scan in windows safe mode.
  3. Make sure your anti virus program is up to date (and running auto download updates), make sure the Windows firewall is on (not the optimum situation but better than nothing) and then search for and download both

1. Ad-Aware
    2. Spybot: Search and Destroy

Neither of these contain any spyware, though Spybot has ads that support it's free download system if I remember correctly (only through the program itself; no pop ups).

Run these and hopefully they'll set things straight again, and a full system scan courtesy of your anti virus program can't hurt. Try using Mozilla Firefox as an Internet browser from now on as well, far less chance of picking up nasty crap in future.
  4. ... I cant say Ive ever seen ads through spybot
  5. 1: Make sure you haven't exceeded your monthly download limit and your provider has reduced your speed as a result.

2: Download spybot and let it run

3: Get firefox so you don't get anymore popups
  6. also, clicking no in a pop up window can be as bad as clicking yes. Use the x in the corner, or alt f4 or right click close instead.