Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Compressor or similar

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Greydog, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Is there any such thing as a battery operated compressor for topping up tyres? I'm sick of pulling into servos, only to find their air hoses either don't work, or are fitted such that putting them to the wheel is really difficult. Plus the tyres aren't cold any more.

My problem is that I don't have power in my garage, so I'm wondering if there's something that'll do the job without power, and preferably without too much effort on my part!

I'll break out the extension cords if I have to, but prefer not to phaff around.

2. Well there are those powerpack things with compressor, light, battery all in one but they generally come with compressors (claiming 260PSI!!!!) that struggle to put 50PSI in a tyre.

1) Get a small good compressor, add battery clips. A single head compressor is fine for a bike tyre or any normal car tyre.
    2) Clip to motorbike battery with bike engine running.
    3) ???
    4) Profit!

3. If it's just for topping up in your garage, a good hand pump doesn't take long to do the job:

[​IMG]

4. In all seriousness, if there's no power where you park the bike, one of those good old plunger style pumps could mange the odd top-up at bike tyre pressures without the greatest of effort. So long as you have a decent tyre pressure gauge as well.

Another trick that might appeal is to keep a car spare topped up to about 60 psi (or whatever the safe max is) and get an air hose with tyre fittings on each end. You can top up a few psi into the bike tyres a few or so times, then bump up the car spare at a servo once in a while.

You can also get right-angle valve stems to make life easier too.

5. #5 guggle, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I paid around $40 at a sports store for one of the plunger type pumps with a gauge on it. It's great for topping up the tyres...

6. I've got a 12V air compressor that has battery clips and runs off my car battery. I use it for car/motorbike/kids bikes, very handy. Not sure if it was Supercheap or similar, I think it was around $60.

7. OK, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think the foot/hand pump is the way to go, as the bike battery is a PITA to get to, so not worth the effort to fit clips to it.

Wayned, you're right about the right angle valve thingys - I'll have to get my hands on one (two) of those too. Do they just screw on the existing valve, or do I need to get the tyre re-valved?

8. +1 for the plunger type pump. I use one to top up my tyres in the garage too because it is easier than grabbing the compressor and hooking it up :)

9. +7 for the foot pump.

You'll still need a decent guage, I know the one on my pump aint always reliable.

nfp3.

10. I've got what I think is a decent gauge - an electronic one. How does one know how reliable one's gauge is, anyway?

11. I have a suggestion, have Streetmaster connect a plug to the same location as your heated grips. Get a 12volt compressor that you can plug in, then you wont have to 'find the battery' as you have power source at hand. Make sure you fire the bike up before the compressor tho. just a thought for convenience sake for you.

12. I've got one of the double-barrelled foot pumps, but it's a bit recalcitrant and there's a lot of resistance even before you start getting up any pressure. For this particular job I'd go for the upright one.

GD, I presume most or all right-angled stems need to go on with the tyre off. I'm in the market for some too, preferably in time for the next tyre change so I can get them swapped. If there's any that go on the existing stems, I'd prefer to wait and do it right. I had angled stems standard on the bike before this one, so now the straight ones on this bike make me utter rude words when I check the tyres.

13. here we go http://www.munichmotorcycles.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1594

14. For small top ups of say a couple of psi/bar I use a bicycle style hand pump. For anything much more I use a 12 v compressor which plugs into the car's cigarette lighter.

15.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Can anyone recommend a GOOD quality tyre pressure gauge?

There are plenty of rubbish ones out there. Also note that electronic is not inherently better than a standard type of analog gauge. It's the quality o f the actual internals of the instrument that matter.

17.  Top
  18.  Top
  19. http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=27107

Look for anything with racing thoroughbred that quotes accuracy. The better stuff will also list repeatability.

20. don't leave the adapter on the valve, just fit it when you check the tyres