Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Compliance plates needed for own work?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Kernel, May 24, 2011.

  1. OK so I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.
    I do not have any formal qualifications related to mechanics.
    Highlighted in bold are the bits that I think I probably will need plates for.

    Which of these, if any, do I legally have to go and get compliance plates for if I do the work myself (DR650):
    Fit aftermarket larger tank.
    Fit X40F1X GSXR1000 muffler + after market mid pipe. (will fall well within DB limits)
    Grind head pipe weld.
    Fit HID headlight kit.
    Make and/or fit windshield.
    Pull air box snorkel, remove air box screen, cut out top of air box and cover the hole with a piece of shade cloth.
    Fit aftermarket air filter.
    Modify, jet and fit Keihin FCR-MX 39 carburetor.

    I might not even bother with the compliance plates, but I'd like a bit of forewarning in case cops are able to sting me for any of the above.
  2. You don't get compliance plates for this type of thing, what you should be asking is do you need a VASS approval certificate.

    I'll outline the possible legal issues from your list for you.

    You are now forewarned.
  3. why would you need EPA approval when airbox modifications don't affect emissions in any way??
  4. Everything you do to modify the combustion process, ie carb/airfilter/exhaust etc will have an affect on emissions, How much of an affect you wont know unless its tested.
    Most police wont know the difference as long as it looks tidy.
  5. Why do you think air intake systems come so restricted from the factory?

    Because generally they have to meet set EPA emission requirements.

    And as foot69 has already said.
  6. Another question, will I need to re-register my bike or can the modifications be applied to the existing registration?
    What do vicroads mean by "change the description of a modified vehicle"?
    I've decided against the HID kit and will instead fit a H4 relay and a different colored (plasma yellow) H4 globe. Will I need a VASS approval certificate for that?