Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Compliance plate question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Gilligan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I'm looking at a Honda Spada for my first bike, and have one lined up to buy (private sale). When checking it out I noticed that it didn't have a compliance plate, even though it's definitely an import. The guy selling it was not really sure about this point, though he had no issues insuring it. Can anyone advise me on this? Do all complianced bikes have a compliance plate attached (in Victoria) or do I simply do a VicRoads check? I don't want to buy this bike without being sure that all is OK with it in this regard.

All help much appreciated, as is all the advice that NetRiders have given me so far - this site is invaluable for newbies like me.

2. Yes grey imports should have a compliance plate attached to prove they passed ADRs - without it you won't be able to get the bike registered. They're usually riveted to the frame so very unlikely it would have simply fallen off (even if it did there should still be a couple of holes). Sounds dodgy to me, they may have simply transferred the rego plate from a legit bike onto another uncomplianced (possibly stolen) import.
  3. private import bikes don't always have compliance plates. Doesn't mean they are stolen, and as long as you can show a history of registration then it should be ok.

I would get a paid revs check first to confirm things though!
  4. Yep good point, no compliance on private imports. Of course you have to have owned that bike overseas for a minimum of 12 months for that to apply so there wouldn't be that many around. Definately worth checking, especially that the engine/chassis numbers line up with the paperwork.
  5. The bike wasn't a private import, it was a dealer import, so it sounds like there should be a plate on the bike? I found it a bit odd that there wasn't one. Guess I'll have to check it out further, see documentation and stuff. It's a v. good bike so I'm hoping to go through with the purchase, but there's no way I will if it doesn't all check out OK.

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.

6. My Spada is an import and it does not have a compliance plate anywhere I can find. When I went to register it for the first time, there was a little box on the form the mechanic filled out that said 15 yr old import-no compliance plate- or something to that effect. The fact that there was a box for this would suggest it is pretty common to me.
    Don't discount the bike just for that reason-but of course it is still smart to do revs checks and all that sort of stuff when buying privately.
  7. A personal import plate/label (yellow colour) must be still affixed to the bike if it is personal import and manufactured after 1988, and a VASS (Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme) certificate is required to get the personal label/plate. The VIN also needs to be stamped on the chassis.

If the bike was manufactured between 1975 and 1989, then no compliance plate is required. A VASS (Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme) certificate will be required for rego, and the VIN stamped on the chassis.

If the bike was manufactured after 1988 and is not a personal import, then a RAWS Used Import plate/label (magenta colour) must be fitted , and the VIN also stamped.

Of course, a RWC is required in all cases.

Your best/safest bet is to find the VIN and Engine number on the bike and write it down (sight it yourself .. don't trust the seller to tell you it or read it to you). Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Sat, 9am-5pm) with the VIN and engine number and they will tell you if it is OK and what is required, since they'll have a record of how it was imported etc. For around $20, they'll also sell you a "VIP Package" that will tell you how many times it's rego has been transferred inc which postcodes it was garaged in, who and when it was import, etc. if you want peace of mind.
  8. Thanks so much for the post Jason. I appreciate all that info.

I have sighted the VIN and engine numbers so I'll be calling Vicroads first thing Monday. Hopefully it all checks out ok and i'll be the owner of my first bike :grin: