Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Complete New Rider, Few Q's

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by huzey, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Hi. I've read the stickied topics in this section of the forums and understood them.

Basically, my names Rhys. Im a 17 year old male(Not the kind who takes out a loan and buys a WRX). I'm looking to get into motorbike to forfill my passion for all kinds of motors, since I can't really afford $25,000 for a Skyline GTS etc. So im looking at probably a CBR250.

Now your thinking: Another kid who knows nothing about bikes and wants a sports bike to go fast on and impress the ladies.

That's almost it, but not quite. You see, I have a few other details I would like to let you know.

I've got access to a track, after I get my L's. I will spend absolutely no time riding on the road(I know that will be hard). And just practice my techniques on a track.

I will not go fast on the road. (Again, very hard....not for me). Earlier this year, I thought I was bulletproof on the road. I was in a frends car (Silvia S13) and was having the time of my life. We crashed(Not me driving), bad, I was 20cm's away from a telegraph pole (If anyone knows the Hill climb in Newcastle, that was were it was at)

Ever since then I'm so careful on the road, I have never drove potentially unsafe since that day (I've only got a Toyota Celica SX '89).

Do You think i should get the CBR 250? Or do you think I should just get any old POS bike and just learn for 2-3 years before I get a respectable bike?

I understand, and are aware that I WILL drop the bike and I WILL crash.(Smashing plastic = not fun :-() I'm just looking for some honest opinions.

I really want the CBR, but I know it's probably very stupid. So I keep telling myself to just get a mediocre bike. I'm going to get VERY decent gear for safety

Sorry for a not-so-direct question. But if anyone can give me some much needed advice. Or talk from their learning experience, that would be awesome :) Please be very honest.

By the way, I would only ever ride the bike on weekends, and at non-busy times, and only in dry, clear weather.

My MAIN PURPOSE FOR A BIKE, IS TO HAVE FUN, BUT BE AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE

~thanks!

PS - Any riders in Newcastle ?[/b]

2. Dude, you sound like you've got your head relatively screwed on. If it's a CBR you really want, it's a CBR you should get. Personally I hate 4 cylinder 250cc machines, I call them 'mosquitos' because of the high pitched whine of the motor gunning at 1900000000 rpm.
    But if that's what you're into then by all means go for it, have you considered other similar bikes like the Kawa ZXR?? All these fully faired inline 4's are pretty similar in performance and handling (although there are some on this forum who will swear till they're blue in the face that the CBR will thrash the ZXR etc.), so it doesn't really matter what you get, so long as you like it, you're comfy on it, and you cann afford to replace all tose stupid plastic bit when or if you crash.
    If you're sensible and don't ride like a complete tosser, you shouldn't have too many dramas. I like the idea of learning on a track, are planning on getting into racing??

3. personally mate, they are all only 250's they all go about the same with the except of the aprillia, and some of the 2 stroke bikes.... in the end, you will want something with more power.... so buy what you can afford/like (or put up with while on restrictions) and enjoy riding.

cheers stewy

4. I probably won't get into racing. My friend after his crash, now only drifts on a track, so when you do crash, it's pretty tame.

I just want track so I can push the bike as much as I want and stay reasonably safe.

Im open to suggestions for a first bike, I just liked the look of the CBR. And it fits well with a learner bike (250/cheap/not going to kill myself)

So if you can show me some bikes you would recomend. Two questions

1) Whats naked and fairing bikes? (Something to do with chassis/look of it?)

2) Whats the actual "stroke mean". I understand cylinders and all that.

~thanks!

5. for one cbr i would take a stab in the dark and guess are the most sort after 250 and therefore, good luck finding one cheap.... as for other good 250's there are thousands of threads on them

6. Welcome to the forum, Rhys (good Welsh name, that, boyo)

Newcastle Hill-Climb track? Racing on it outside of competition? Wowsers, it's dangerous enough will all the haybales around it.

So where is the track to which you will have access after you get your bike? Not saying there's anything wrong with learning to ride on a track, but you won't learn roadcraft on a track, and RIDING on the road is different to DRIVING on the road..

7. The track is at Nelson's Bay, roughly an hours drive from my house. It's not too flash, but it's good enough just for mediocre racing.

Haha yep, Welsh name that is, how you pick that? And yeah, that track is hella dangerous. Lucky we crashed away from the cliff/break/water.

~rhys

8. Firstly just going back to your first post on this - don't assume others here are assuming that because you are young/new rider/whatever that you are bad or irresponsible. But thanks for clearing it up anyway :wink: you seem to have a great attitude which is numero uno for riding boikes.

Now...I reckon you're on to something re. riding on the track - but nothing substitutes for real road riding in all conditions i.e. on dirt, in rain, cold, night, traffic/country etc.

Bike? Up to you - search the forums for other's thoughts on 250's what's good and bad etc.

1. Naked is no fairing/screen (you know, all the plastic stuff), faired is - well - all the plastic stuff! Personal choice, if you drop a nekkid bike it can be cheaper to fix i.e. spraypainting, getting bits, but you can damage things like the engine cases, frame etc due to no protection. And it's usually easier to ride behind a fairing on a long/windy trip than a naked.

2. A four-stroke engine has piston/s which have four strokes, or movements inside the cylinder to complete the combustion process - intake, compression, power and exhaust. A two-stroke does all of this in two strokes - thus, there is a power stroke per piston for every engine revolution, instead of every second revolution.

All the best bud.

9. This is a naked bike:

[img:800:600:e85714e7e9]http://www.caringbahmotorcycles.com.au/images/usedbikes/spada_s.jpg[/img:e85714e7e9]

This is a faired bike:

[img:800:600:e85714e7e9]http://www.caringbahmotorcycles.com.au/images/usedbikes/CBR600_s.jpg[/img:e85714e7e9]

Advantages of a faired bike:
    Wind protection
    Looks Sportier

Disadvantages of a faired bike:
    Costs more to replace broken fairings when you crash

Advantages of a naked bike:
    Look hornier
    Cheaper to repair

Disadvantages of a naked bike:
    Less wind protection

I'll let someone more technical than me help oyu with the 2 stroke/4 stroke thing.

10. Oh, sorry, that photo of the naked bike is actually a Honda VT250 Spada made in 1989. There have been heaps of these imported from Japan lately and they are great little bikes. I wholeheartedly recommend you go out and get one of these. You can probably pick one up for about $3,000-3,500.

11. I like the look of it alot. And yes, Im hopefully going to be able to get EVERYTHING enlcluding gear/insurance for $5.5K.

Say, if anyone of you have MSN and are free to chat, leave it here or MSN me at fusion2k3@gmail.com :)

12. a naked bike - has no covers over the engine and its mechanics.... ie: CB250 or Hornet 250

fairings - made of various materials, fairings are covers for the engine and its mechanics which provide wind protection and depending on taste will make your bike look mint!! special note which also cost more to repair if you do drop your bike. ie: CBR250 or ZXR250

i myself started on a CB250 to remove speed and get used to riding as i had very little experience on motorbikes in my lifetime but after a year i upgraded to a hornet 250 (all naked bikes) and still under restrictions... i dropped my first bike (CB250) and it cost me $40 to replace the mirror i broke and straightened the handle bars... More to point - YOU WILL WANT A FASTER BIKE....

mango

Where life is a twistie

13. I can understand if I get a slower bike, ill get too cocky and immediatly want a faster bike. But on the other hand, a slower bike = more suitable for learning

14. Depends on how you define slow - you can have an accident at 120km and be okay, or have an accident at 40km/h and not be okay. Speed is addictive and fun and all that, but choose a bike wisely and you'll still be grinning for a while - think of whatever you get as a 'bike', not a '250'.

15. welcome huzey,

i am a new rider myself. i own a zzr250 and find it to be an easy bike to learn to ride. cheap and fun to get around on and have had no problems mechanically (yet!).

I bought the bike thinking that i would barely be able to handle it (i thought it was huge when i first got it he he) and that i would have it forever. well, its a completely diff storey now! i cant wait to get my full license and a bigger bike.

anyway, all im saying is i wish i didnt spend as much money as i did on my 250 (came with new pipes, spray job etc..) cause then i would have more money put aside for a bigger, better bike.

my opinion- get a cheaper first bike and learn to ride that. especially if you want to race in the future, then u can get a faster bike when you have more experience. but, thats just my opinion.

one more thing, how devistated would you be if you dropped your cbr? i dropped mine in the first week of riding (new brake lever and a couple of small chips in paint, luckily thats all). not saying that your going to, but most learners do.

good luck with your decision. i hope this has helped

cheers!

16. Heya, thanks for the replys guys and gals.

Im now leaning towards a less expensive bike to learn on.(Thanks to zzr_chick mainly)

I've got a question though, how easy is it to drop it? I hope like im not bragging, but I'm 6'2, 80kgs, no fat. Have experience in various forms of martial arts, breakdancing and gymnastics so im not exactly uncoordinated or weak.

Thanks!

17. Welcome huzey

Plenty of good info for you already, but size and strength is irrelevant when it comes to dropping a bike. Things move very quickly when riding - by the time you think about trying to stop the bike falling, you will be hitting the ground.

Go for the older bike, treat it well, sell it for much the same as what you paid and also insurance will be more expensive on a newer 250, which could be money put towards your post restriction purchase.

Good luck with it all

18. When it comes to dropping a bike it's a simple as your foot slipping when you put it down, and being unprepared over it goes :( There are heaps of way to drop a bike, don' worry you'll find at least one :)

invest in a braking and cornering course, so you know where to head with your riding, on or off the track :)

But good luck, are you sure you're only 17? You sound more mature than most people I know :)

19. Hi Huzey, I'd suggest your physical conditioning would help you with a speedy recovery but not so much with preventing an off. Skill and practice would be a major factor in preventing an accident as well as attitude.

20. Sounds like you're thinking responsibly, at least. :)
    If you want the Honda or that style of bike, then I would say, get it.
    But you may find that thinking responsibly and riding responsibly are two different things once you get your right hand on throttle :))
    (We've all been there)

Personally, I think you would have alot more fun on a VTR...it's got a bit of torque which is very nice for track work coming out of corners, and might be more useable on the road (generally speaking).

One thing to remember...on the track, it does'nt really matter which bike you have under you, since everything is relative. Pushing hard through a corner, is pushing hard through a corner. You'll get to master whatever bike is under you, and the sense of being "on the edge" will be the same. It's all a learning experience, assuming that's your motivation. (Of course, if you only want lower times then you maybe should rethink things, and get a track bike only.)

One other thing...it does'nt matter what you are riding...falling off is the same - just as dangerous - just as painful when you're luck runs out - as it will. :)