Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Comparorama - 99 Sprint ST vs 05 GSX750F

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by rb, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Go Japanese, GSX750F rocks!

2. What ho! British Triumph ST old chap.

0 vote(s)
  1. So I've been looking at bike ads constantly. Some people might call it wasting time, I'd say it's researching! :LOL:
    For a similar price (both around $7000-7500), I could go for a 1999 Triumph Sprint St or a 2005 Suzuki GSX750F. The Sprint has 42000km, and looks to be in good condition. It's got a Triumph sports muffler, but is stock apart from that. The Suzi is completely stock, 1500km, and is practially new.
    My thinking is that the Sprint is a better bike in general, more powerful, a better fit out, better suspension. And it's a glorious British triple, sounds awesome, great torque and looks the goods. Downside is that you pay the same money for a much older and more used bike.
    The GSX750F is typical Japanese reliability, unstressed motor, budget components and fit out (these things are only $10K new). But it's almost brand new, and has done three tenths of f*** all kms.

The bike would be used as a commuter, weekend ride, two-up tourer, and everything else under the sun.

:-k I'm buggered if I know which would be a better buy, so hit me with some ideas. :-k

2. Ridden them yet?

If not, go check them out and take a test ride. You might end up ruling one of them out for a reason you haven't even thought of.

Or you may fall head-over-heels in love.

Either way, you'll be better equipped to make the decision. If you're still tossing up between them, come back here and tell us all about it. We'll make up your mind for you! :p :wink:
  3. I owned a 99 Triumph Sprint ST, it was the most unreliable bike I've ever owned.

Porous tyre rims, dud alternator, leaking fuel tank, dud low fuel light, 6 batteries in 3 years.

It was fitted with 'factory option' heated hand grips that you couldn't use at night because if the headlights were on at the same time as the heated hand grips then the battery was discharging.

Don't get me wrong... when it was running it was _wonderful_ to ride, it was just built like shit.

I have a friend who's 99 had most of the same problems that I did, except his entire motor blew up after 9000kms.

But you know... I actually have nothing against Triumph Sprint ST's... just do _not_ get a 99! 2000 onwards (and the later the better).

As for the GSX750F I owned an earlier version of one of those, it was a bit buzzy, a bit bland, very reliable and would do anything that the Sprint ST would do... but it was boring.

I wouldn't get either of the above... I'd look for a 2000 onwards Sprint ST or any age VFR in good nic.
  4. Cheers, that was the kind of opinion I'm after. I don't have the time or money to chase around fixing up an unreliable bike. The ST's had a major revision in 2000 didn't they? Moved the alternator around and stuff?

Unfortunately not. Canberra has fairly small used bike market. Most of the bikes I've seen have been Sydney/far away place. I'm trying to pick everybodies brains, read heaps, ride what I can, and then I'll probably have to make a trip away to get what I'm after.

I'm depending on it! :LOL:
  5. Yah they had a major revision some time in 2000 (some of the bikes sold during 2000 are the same as my 99 was though so avoid the non-update 2000 ones).

The fuel tank/fuel tank sender issues and porous castings issues were I'm told not told not a problem after 2000 either.

Having said that triumph actually had 3 versions of the alternators in the 955 sprints. There was the original version (woefully underpowered), the 2000 update version (ok but don't add accessories) and a later larger version which was better again (not sure when that came in).
  6. I'm biased, (see garage) Have owned mine since new and at last look my odo reads 57k+.
    It has been very reliable, no major issues, only 1 minor.
    I lost a circlip from the gear selector lever in Tassie. fixed in 10min for 50c.
    I ride every day, no matter what the weather.
    Hell I've even done a track day at Phillip Island on it.

try them both tho its a personal thing :grin:
  7. You need another option on you poll: 'I should keep looking'.