Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Comparison: VTR250 v Ninja 250 for comfort?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by GoTeam, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I'm deciding between a VTR250 (I had one once before) and the Ninja 250R. I'm 6' tall. If you're around that height or taller, how do you find the ride on the little Ninja?

If anyone has ridden both, how did they compare in terms of comfort level (e.g. both ok, one a lot better than the other or something else)?

I'd prefer a bike with fairings but fitting on it better is more important to me. I sat on a 250R but that's nothing like riding it.

2. I guess I better leave this for others to reply :-w
  3. At 5'11 I found the ZXR decent but still racy - ie. Hard to u-turn or use in tight maneuvers. As a bigger bloke the reach to the bars is quite acceptable but sort of negates the point of buying a racy bike. They have a bunch of inherent reliability issues, much like the Honda CBR250s do, and it's almost luck of the draw as to whether you'll get one that manages to dodge electrical issues or corrosion.

The VTR on the other hand is the best learner bike I've ever ridden, and I've ridden dozens of 'em. Not only is it very comfy, reliable and easy to work on, it's also one of the easiest and most confidence-inspiring bikes on the market. And once that confidence starts making you want to do silly, silly things, it's well and truly up for shenanigans. I always come away giggling after spending time with a VTR. I can't recommend them highly enough.
  4. I think his talking about the new 250R, which is just the GPX, not the ZXR250
  5. Oh yeah, you're right. I haven't ridden one of the new ones, but the old GPX was a scorcher, I always thought they were great. Did me first wheelie on one incidentally. I'd only buy a new one if I was image-obsessed, the older GPX is so tried and tested and so bloody cheap to buy and maintain. I think that model survived almost unchanged for more than 10 years.
  6. I'm 6' and have no comfort issues with the VTR250. The only time I've been sore after riding it was the first long-ish(2+ hours) ride I went on, but that was much more likely to be inexperience rather than the specific bike.
  7. I've spent a fair bit of time on a VTR and a lil bit of time on the Ninja 250r and being 6' tall, i found the VTR more comfortable. Mainly cause my knees didn't fit into the tank properly on the Ninja.

I think the Ninja was designed with a smaller rider in mind. My mate is about 5'8 or so and its a perfect fit for him...

just my 5c worth...
  8. When I picked up my L's I rode a VTR for a little while borrowed from a friend. Was truly a great bike. It was a hard decision between that and the Ninja, but i opted for the Ninja. The reviews and the sheer awesome look of the bike was what sold me. I am very happy with the choice I made. :grin:
  9. Fair enough. They are both great by all accounts, but I guess it just comes down to whether you want a naked V-twin or a faired parallel twin.

One big plus for the VTR is that there are heaps of second hand models(with 9 years of manufacturing), whereas with the Ninja you're still forced to buy new. Obviously not an issue if you're dead set on buying new, but I personally wouldn't buy a new 250(especially a faired one!) unless I was intending to keep it for commuting or something after the LAMS period. :)
  10. I have owned a GPX and a VTR250, and recently got to take the new Ninja for a strap (It's Handy when your friends with the local Kawasaki dealers sales Manager).

I felt the new Ninja had less power, and was heavier, Just the "seat of the pants" feeling, It could use some more grunt, I think AMCN also were very unimpressed with it also stating the engine has to be thrashed to get the best out of it. over all very underwhelming, (Just my personal opinion)

The VTR250 was the best 250 I ever owned (Owned 4 over 8 or so years), it handled well (Even hauling my heavy ass around :p ) I loved the torque, you didn't have to rev the ring out of it to go places and stay ahead of most of the traffic. Put a Staintune pipe on it and it even sounds good. It was cheap to service and run. Even though I now own the bike it was modeled off (Ducati Monster) I still wish I had one to commute on.
  11. You've always said the VTR is the best learner bike. I liked the VTR when I had it due to it having a motor made for torque (for it's size). It sounds like the GPX is a good bike as well and proves why they are/were so popular.

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know. When I recently sat on a 250R it seemed like my knees may not quite fit in the groove in the tank. It was close and hard to tell on the showroom floor. I was told that the VTR looked a touch small for me but I ended up fitting on it fine.

The factory figures say that the VTR generates a fraction more power and torque at lower revs than the new 250R and that the 250R is 13kg (or 10%) heavier than the VTR. From memory, numbers I've seen in the past showed that the GPX around 2000 had the most go out of new learner bikes back then. That would explain why you noticed that the new 250R felt like it had less go. Thanks for that.

The reviews are pretty good for it and the reviewers all say it rides better than the GPX. They say it's slightly down on top end power (compared to the GPX) but it's compensated with the increase in usable torque in the middle range. It does look good and that's part of the reason why there's a waiting list for them. Of course you're going to be happy with it. Happy riding. :)

I'd prefer a faired bike but it seems like a 2-3 year old VTR may be the way to go for me. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  12. im 5'10" and my gpx is fine for me. if you're tall in the upper body it can cause drag on them. is a pretty upright position so ok on long rides.have ridden the VTR and is very easy to ride and also comfy. ride em and see i say.
  13. I have been wondering this myself. I haven't got around to sitting on either yet but after doing the 2 hour pre-learner at ridetek yesterday I felt a bit bunched up on their bike (Daelim?). I think I will have a look at some VTR250s.
  14. the VTR will feel like a concert hall after that.
  15. Haha. It was much bigger than the Sachs' they have though.
  16. yes.. someone should have taken them out of the dryer earlier. a sachs with a VTR motor would be interesting
  17. I've ridden both - I own the Ninja 250r.

I'm 5'11.5 ;)

The ninja is superior when going faster than 80kmh as the fairing makes a world of difference shielding you from the wind. You can get an addon for the VTR - but it just directs the wind at your chin and it makes u look a bit kinda .... like you really like queen and village people if u get my drift.

The ninja is much better in this regard.

Also, the gearbox on the 250r is very smooth!! I know VTR's are meant to be smooth, but the 250r is amazing.

Straight line acceleration - the VTR and 250r are comparable - I think the VTR might just win this one - but its really close.

One of my friends is around 6'2/6'3ish - he rides a VTR. His legs didn't fit properly under the fuel tank of the 250r.

I have a long body and short legs (not drastically ;) - im not like an oompaloompa).

If i had short body/long legs I think i'd might have to go the VTR.

I have no regrets about the 250r. I love it - it looks awesome, it likes you to lean it around the twisties, 3rd gear is fun and it protects you from wind :)

** The seating position on each is very similar. The 250R is quite upright for a faired bike.
  18. yeah all good points there. the gearbox on the kwaka is nice for sure. what got me in the end was value for money. i bought second hand so the difference was quite big. bloody honda resale. i like the kwaka its a good thing. have beaten a VTR in a drag but thats nothing in the scheme of things.