Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Commuting on a postie

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by djay, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I've been thinking about getting a postie bike to use for commuting into the city (Sydney). Does anyone know how much resgistration is on them? And what CTP insurance is?

Having a kick start scares me a bit. Is it difficult to kick start them?

Anyone have experience with one have any advice on them in general?

Thanks!

2. Not difficult to start, they're good up to 80kmh. Pretty super slow but ideal for inner city commuting. Rego 110, CTP 180-250.

125 scooters are lightyears faster

3. My (rather sad) party trick with my C90 Step-Thru, which is first cousin to the CT110, was to start it using only my index finger on the kickstart. So no, they're not difficult at all.

MrsB's fearsome Norton, was a rather different matter. That was a bike that could sense fear and would try to break your leg or fire you into orbit if you were scared of it. It is of such metal that kickstarting legends are made :D.

4. i have a suzuki across, only got that model cos of the mad bootspace for commuting.

i saw a guy riding a postie on the way home, and for the ease and simplicity of the whole thing, id consider a postie if i didnt get the across.

most people have said cheap to run, cheap to service, cheap to buy. very friendly =]

5. Having ridden many, many heaps of CT110s I can tell you that their kickstart is nothing to fear. While not quite as gentle as Pat's 90 it's still easy enough that I have kicked examples over with my left leg while standing next to the bike and have on more than one occasion kicked them over whilst in gear (not so easy with a newer unit but there's not much chance of getting one).
    Their readily accessible top speed as noted before is around 80kmh but a tail wind and downward slope can push that closer to the ton :D. They're definitely not going to win any drag races and I'm sure some of the Japanese scooters will suck the mirrors of it in a straight line but you can not beat them for agility, balance and "chuckability".
    On roads and the like I can't say as mine were all paid for me and, funnily enough, so was the fuel bill which was rather frugal but I suppose an average of 10kmh for 4 hours does that lol
    Bottom line is that they're a great little commuter, in a similar vein to a scooter, but they have the benefit of, I believe, better balance as a result of weight distribution, they are without doubt the closest thing you'll get to indestructible and should you manage it AuPost is always retiring stock into the second hand market.

6. Look up Fowlers auctions if you are buying one. I think they are up to $1127.00 for an X postie with about 35 to 38 thousand K's on them. You will need to put rego on it which in QLD is $247. Plus your $68 inspection fee.
    They do not come with the bags or rack to hold the bags either. But you can screw up to a 110lt box on the back.
    In summer just kick it over, no throttle and they start strait up.
    In winter just flick the choke and do the same thing.
    I get about 60k's before reserve. I am sure you would get more on a strait run without delivering mail.
    There pretty indestructible, believe me ha ha. I have the pics and scars to prove it.

7. It wasn't so much that the bike was gentle, more that making my living at the time pushing overloaded wheelbarrows had given me a grip like something very grippy indeed :D.

8. what's wrong with your GPX?

9. Posties are a great option for city commute within about the 15-20km range. Easiest things to maintain and great to increase your understanding of how everything works - although they need no more maintenance than oil and spark plug.

I had one that looked brand new and had 20 something thou on it. Bought for $1k and sold a couple of years later for $1300. They have gone up in price over the past few years given popularity. I preferred it to the scooter (even if a little less powerful) Cost sweet FA to fill up - cheapest rego and CTP possible.

I am 90kg so was on the limit but my record was 105kmph. Longest trip on it was about 100km - went out to Parramatta from North Sydney and that did suck - little or no wind protection and drivers speeding past is not much fun.

First bike or run around and they are perfect.

10. And, of course, you'd be buying a piece of classic Australiana and 50 years of utility biking history as well :D.

11. I have a postie. So much fun. Fastest thing in peak hour :) I might be slow, however you learn how to filter with great ease :)

12. Hello- i commute on a ct110 from epping to alexandria mon-friday (sydney), which is approx 30km's each way. I've got mostly main roads all the way into town which vary from 50-80k's which sounds easy enough but its harder work on the postie (time taken etc). I would say (like others have already mentioned) that it is an ideal commute bike for small travels (up to 15-20k's?!) But anything further- Get a scooter or 250cc bike!!! I'm counting the days till i get my new bike (approx 5 weeks) cuz its no longer a cute and cuddly bike, doing the job- Even those 1.2litre daihatsu's breeze past you on the longer roads which just starts to become a bit absurd!..Maybe thats just me but i rekon theres a cutoff for these bikes as weekly transport..PRO is very cheap to insure and register..oh and i'm spending roughly $14 in fuel every week and a half (give or take a day) And servicing/parts are cheap..hope this helps