Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Commute times? Melbourne out West

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RedNinja, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hey All,

Am thinking of moving out West, was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of commute time bike/car from the areas they live out there.

Have been considering Tarneit, Wyndham Vale etc...

Any ideas folks? Any toughts appreciated...

2. Hoppers Crossing to Collins/Russell morning peak = 40-50min @ 7am

(you may lane filter more quickly than me though)

Its nearly always chockers going over the Westgate. On the way home @ 5pm it doesn’t take very long, traffic seldom stands still.

I wouldnt drive as it would take a lot longer.

I'm housesitting and am hating it - mainly because its full of young families and not much night life for a 25 year old... its only 25 min journey non-peak though.

Good luck!
  3. Wyndham Vale to the top of Collins Street 45 – 60 minutes in bound (I go under the bridge via Williamstown and Footscray). Home is about the same on the freeway unless you get stuck at the train line near Cottrell Street.

Anything towards the bottom of the city would give a time saving.
  4. Tarneit to Tulla (Sharps Rd) - 35min on a good day, 60 on a bad day.
  5. All the times I've ridden from Werribee to Bundoora its taken me about 45-50 mins at 7am.
  6. Bacchus to CBD 45mins in the cage, 35mins on the bike.
  7. :shock: Now I know why I avoid peak times.
    Off-peak Ballarat-Melbourne CBD is only 50-60 minutes (for me anyway), car or bike.
    At peak times it's still just 1hr by train.
  8. Last Friday, Tarneit to Windsor 35 mins. Left home at 5.35pm for a 6pm start, got to work 5 mins late ;)

When riding at a more sedate pace, about 45 mins on a good day.

Driving in, used to take 35-45 mins, it now takes up to 110 mins :mad:

I loath it when I have to drive to work.
  9. Hey Vic, my 7yr old son can add time better than that! :oops: :p :LOL:
  10. Well we found it sucked big time for commuting times when we moved from Mickleham where we just rode straight in on the Tulla, to when we moved out to Hoppers Crossing.

Just for that reason alone we would have happily moved back out to Mickleham.