Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Communications - CB and Headset

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Denial, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hi,

I'm going for a trip with a few friends, a couple of whom are cagers who use CB's to communicate. I like the idea of CB, as it seems like it's makes for easy integration with anything, passenger, other bikes, and cars. From another thread here I can see some UHF handhelds here: http://www.dmme.com.au/uhf_handhelds.htm but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this?

My questions are:

* What is a good handset (not too bulky, reasonable batteries etc) that will take a headset
    * What is a good headset for a full face, that will allow safe operation of the handset, and be quiet enough to use at speed?
    * Is this legal to do? Truckies operate CB's right, so there should be no problem unlike operating a phone?

Is something like this too cheap to be actually decent?

Any help appreciated!
  2. I've been trying to find out the exact same thing. Bluetooth range isn't enough (apart from pilioning) for my needs, and UHF would be the best solution.

The problem is sourcing an appropriate headset, needs to have very decent noise cancellation to be able to deal with 100kmh+ wind, with decent speakers. Interested in hearing about other peoples bike UHF headset setups.
  3. From memory the laws are written banning the use of any form of handheld communications device so if in a car or truck and you pick up the mike to talk you're breaking the law.

If you are using a headset & handlebar mounted mike switch I would consider that legal (I'm not a lawyer though)
  4. Not sure how it'd be an issue since you just set the channel and go.. Wouldn't be touching the unit whilst riding, or have any need to?
  5. It is not illegal to use a cb radio handset, surprisingly....
  6. Doesn't surprise me at all... anything the cops do themselves like using a radio is unlikely to be banned. Obviously it's every bit as dangerous as operating a phone, but the law is not really about equivalent treatment. :rolleyes:

That said, I would love to know whether using a headset to talk on the phone is considered "operating" it. If I pull over, answer/dial, and then ride, surely that's equivalent to using a proper car kit in a cage? Not something I'd be keen to test out I guess.
  7. My Tiger's rigged with a DMME-supplied Starcom1 Advance, helmet mike+speakers and a Digitech 3W handheld UHF radio. Also got the auxiliary 3.5mm cable for connecting an MP3 player to the Starcom1.

The Starcom unit's speakers are flush-mount ones which can be velcro'd into the helmet, or stuck down with tape underneath the liner depending how much space you have.

The microphone is a small self-adhesive, highly-directional and short-ranged microphone, designed to have terrible sensitivity to anything which isn't immediately in front of it. You install it so that your lips are almost or only just touching it.

The Starcom unit itself has an adjustable 'noisefloor' which tries to cut out whatever background noise does end up getting through, too. :)

Starcom1 Advance kit w/ rider and pillion helmet mikes, and a UHF kit. "HSEX-01" cables are the curlycords which connect from helmet to bike so that your helmet doesn't have a >1m cord hanging down from it all the time. My helmets have a little 5" tail hanging from the back of the liner; the HSEX-01 plugs into that, and the HSEX-01 connects to the bike's socket. Pretty easy.

Here's the UHF at home on the handlebars. The UHF handset is attached to an aluminium bracket on the mirror stem using industrial velcro, which does a fine job of holding it in place while riding. The UHF's curlycord and PTT wire runs down along the side of the bike's frame to the Starcom1 unit under the seat. I've moved the PTT switch (living on the clutch lever in that shot) so now it's right above the highbeam toggle switch, on the base of the mirror's stem.

Shot showing the install from the side. If you look close you'll see the rider's plugin socket coming out from under the seat just near the pillion footrest. The curlycable attached to the helmet plugs into there, which automagically switches on the Starcom1 unit. (I keep the pillion's plugin socket under the seat when I don't have a passenger)

I mostly use the UHF for listening to trucks during interstate trips, but it gets use in convoy from time to time. :) I haven't tried VOX mode, because I'm not sure the truckies would appreciate hearing me sneeze inside the helmet or, worse still, singing to myself. :p

I'm happy to answer any questions on usability or install, etc.
  8. http://www.afp.gov.au/act/road_traffic/safer_driving.html

I've heard two-way radios can still be used, is that true?
    Yes, the term 'mobile phone' does not include a CB radio or any other two-way radio. However, if using the radio causes distraction drivers could still be prosecuted depending on the circumstances.

Now this is in the ACT but one would assume the rules would be similar around the country (reckon I could find it on the VicRoads site!!)
  9. May as well just drive a car.
  10. Denial, you should be looking HERE
    Ranges from just a headset and PTT , to Bluetoothed UHF and more.
  11. Do you know how these perform at cutting out wind noise at 100km/h ?

12. Yes Matt
    Virtually NO bike or wind noise transmitted out. Still hear very well at 120kph, 2 speakers (one for each ear) placed in helmet, mic stays in helmet too.
    Watch the demo video with the StarCom1 Digital and thats pretty close to what you get.
  13. Thanks. I normally use disposable foam ear plugs because the wind noise at 100kph is getting a little loud (I'n on a GS500 - no fairings). Instead of speakers in the helmet, could you use some of 'them' fancy earphones that sit in your ear? I would really love a solution to let me listen to music, or not, but take/make calls on my iPhone and when no music is on, to not be deafened by wind noise...

14. Thanks for all the help, particularly Spots. Just not sure I'm ready to spend quite that much, and not sure how I'd go with a cheaper solution. Plenty of info there to think about, thanks guys!
  15. Hey Denial, if you're after something a bit cheaper, you could go with the Camos headset & get a bluetooth adapter to suit. It come with a PTT button & cable to interface with a CB radio.

I have the Camos headset for Bluetooth phone & music, I haven't actually tried it with the CB yet.

Details are here: http://www.dmme.com.au/Bluetooth.htm
  16. Foam squishies usually improve any system, they block wind etc but only dull voices a bit. We cater to earplugs/ earmould wires with a special headset you can plug them into also another that has in helmet speakers AND socket for earplugs =D>
  17. That seems to be exactly what I've been looking for, thanks! Shame its not a little cheaper, but it does have alot of functionality.
  18. Not cheap but depends how good you want to go.
    We use various earpieces for different riding/driving combos.

For bikes the earbone conduction mics are the go. Old technology bone mics were pretty cr@ppy but the new versions have ALC and great sensitivity. The bone conduction works exactly like that, pics up the sounds vibrations in the ear canal and conducts it into the microphone element. It looks like a simple earpiece only a little thicker.
    As it's IN your ear there is zero wind noise. The mic is VOX, activated by voice. As soon as you start talking the radio transmits. So no ptt is needed.
    The speaker is also contained in the same unit, wind ported through the centre of the earpice and into your ear.
    Pretty tricky device but it's very effective.

Note these are a one user system, as they fit in each users ear.

In car helmets we fit a similar system but either skull conduction in the helmet or if the wind noise is low a level controlled mic in the helmet. It's trial and error till you find the one that suits the respective driver or rider.

Hope that helps. If you need more info let me know and I'll take it offline.

Using a CB radio is perfectly legal in Victoria. The mobile phone law excludes two way radios.