Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Comms Vox & UHF Radio

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by FALCON-LORD, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Has any one considered using in Helm comms sets with a UHF Radio that supports Vox?

There was an earlier post by someone who was an organizer of group rides talking about the fears when there are riders lagging, if you had good comms between the organizers these fears could be somewhat allayed.

And if there are just a couple of people riding, you can chat on the move
  2. I looked at it a while ago (about 12 months I think). There are some cheapy ones going on eBay and in places like Strathfield Radio, etc.

I got a set but never got around to using them (with vox and ear pieces, etc). Now my wife and a couple of friends are planning a bit of a day ride around the place (the wives will be pillion behind us). They seem keen to use them as they can chat during the ride. Will see how it goes and how practical it is once it happens though. It should also gives us a bit of warning if something happens to the other people.

3. A lot of the cheap bottom end UHF handheld radios have poor recievers. Try and stick with a known brand like Electrophone or Uniden or Icom. Also the accessories have better qualitiy cabling and are less subject to breakage and failure.
  4. I got a (cheap) set from Strathfield a while ago and tried them out. My experience was that while they seem to be ok communication wise, the vox thing basically doesn't work with helmet/road noise. It kinda does, with a little tuning provided on the set, but you'll find that you may get a chance to talk and then hold the transmit open for maybe 10 mins until you are slowing down, then swap and another person will hold it open. Gets a bit embarrassing when you start singing quietly under your helmet not realising you're transmitting :)
  5. Cheap Vox units don't work very well either. Either they don't have noise cancelling microphones or the noise cancelling circuits are very basic.

There is a reason that headsets for planes cost several hundred dollars minimum for a decent one... but lots of the motorcycle community haven't realised this yet :)
  6. I'm an amateur radio operator and do some portable operating. I have a couple of radios that have a VOX option. The problem with most is that they can be activated by wind noise. If you have VOX make sure the sensitivity is adjustable (like on a couple of my radios) this can help. Not to sure how much wind/road noise will affect the VOX unit if the microphone is inside a relatively 'quiet' helmet.
  7. The biggest problem with all these radio comms things is the terrain the rides tend to occur in.

Most of the little UHF CB's you can buy will work quite well from bike to bike (like 50-100m apart) but once you start going up hill, down dale & around mountain corners anything over that distance wont work too well as UHF doesn't go around corners or over hill very well.

To communicate from one end of a "convoy" to the other you will need to employ the "pass the parcel method".

Of course if the first rider comes unstuck and is lying on the side of the road he/she probably wont be in any condition to broadcast a warning.

That said, I find on long trips in convoys of a few cars it helps to be able to talk between the cars and saves on phone calls, especially when it gets close to lunch time or someone needs a pit stop.

Oh, if the radio has CTCSS (sub audible tone) make sure you set it up on all the radios on the channel of choice. Basically the radio sends a low frequency tone (hence the sub audible nickname) and the other radios wont listen to anything on that channel unless it hears the sub tone in there as well. It's just like having a private channel except everyone else with a CB could listen but not talk back without having the correct tone switched on (almost all newer UHF's have CTCSS including most of the better cheap handhelds but not the older types).
  8. VK3DMN waves to nodz :LOL:
  9. VFJ442 waves to both of you.
    (my old 27MHz CB licence number, yes I actually had a licence way back then)
  10. Sounds like Honda :LOL:

i used to dabble with an old Friend, VK3DEG. That was about 15 years ago now though.
  11. VK3TUB. I used to be all of about 100Kg. An old friend of mine said 'TUB fit me quite well but now I'm a spritely 80Kg it's not so apt...:LOL:
  12. VK3FUNK waves to VK3DNM and 3TUB.

You'll find me on RSE most of the time (439.900-ve)

13. Unless you are going to sink a whole lot of money into a VOX feature is it useless on a motorbike. You are far better off to have your radio able to have a PTT jack which you run to your handlebars.
  14. That is an other nice solution, are there many/any cheapish handsets that have this sort of option
  15. Anyone know of any heasets that are ment for bike to bike communication that is under $200 bucks.. I have a really good handheld radio, but i just need the speakers / mic / ptt button setup.
  16. Yeah, go for Push to talk button headsets, VOX is too hard, the wind is enough to set them transmitting. I have some that I use for intercoms, witn ptt buttons. the headsets came from this guy http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/ who was selling them out at $40 each. They were the old model, apprently the new ones are better, but they work fine. Fitting to helmets is a little bit tricky, cos some helmets dont have much room for fitting speakers in beside your ears. Some cutting of foam (a little bit) may be required. I have also modded my little unit to use an external antenna, which helps its range, although its never going to be very good. In future Id like to go for a more powerful uniden unit or similar. I have also modded the radio to run from a dc power adaptor fitted to the bike. saves batteries.
  17. I just got a Autcom system fitted to mine and the missus' bike, quite a few teathing problems as far as getting the vox to work properly. We got two Uniden 44, i think, anyway they are 2 watt, so the range isn't bad at all. To give you an idea of range, we rode up Macquarie pass a couple of weeks ago and when I was at the top, I could still talk to her half way up the hill - maybe 3 or 4 k's.

We are considering getting PTT buttons for the handlebars as the VOX is really starting to give us the shits. We'll keep trying for the time being.

The comms are especially good when on freeways, passes the time and great to comnment on how stupid cage drivers can be.
  18. As revken said, check out this website

work out what he has and then what radio you should get with a proper PPT jack on it.

I got a Uniden UH041P and tried to use its VOX capabilities without success, ended up being a waste of money for bike to bike comms.

Netrider used to have a partner (TimePlus communications or something similar) that was located at the bottom of sydney Rd in Brunswich who could source all the gear from that website......might be worth a look.
  19. Look at throat mics as an alternitave. They are better suited to this sort of application rather than a conventional mic system.

I have tried one with my amateur radio and it works quite well. There is a guy on ebay that sells a lot of radio equipment, I have got a programming cable and some other bits and bobs.

PM me if you want more info.

20. tried a cheap one and it didn't work well with the wind and flapping of the collar, but I'm told the more you spend the quality increase exponentially.

if you want something that just works everyone seems to rave about eh autocomm products.