Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Common sense on intelligent design, and in the US too!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by incitatus, Dec 21, 2005.

1. CNN Today,

"In an opinion issued Tuesday, U.S. District Judge John Jones ruled that teaching "intelligent design" would violate the Constitutional separation of church and state.

"We have concluded that it is not [science], and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents," Jones writes in his 139-page opinion posted on the court's Web site. (Opinion, pdf)

"To be sure, Darwin's theory of evolution is imperfect. However, the fact that a scientific theory cannot yet render an explanation on every point should not be used as a pretext to thrust an untestable alternative hypothesis grounded in religion into the science classroom or to misrepresent well-established scientific propositions," Jones writes.

Intelligent design claims the complexity of some systems of nature cannot be explained by evolution but must be attributed to a designer or supernatural being.

The Dover Area School District, about 25 miles from the state capital, sought to become the first in the nation to require high school science teachers to teach the concept of intelligent design as an alternative to Darwin's theory of evolution.

Jones described the school board's decision as "breathtaking inanity.

Please Note - Incitatus admits that this post is a blatant attempt to start a nasty and prolonged bun-fight on science versus superstition, (because he can't ride, and is bored).
  2. Buns at he Ready................ FIRE!!!....

ohh that right.... Apathy set in an hour ago.
  3. If you want to take the side of superstition, I'll be happy to butt heads ;)

4. Doh! Where's Hornet when you need him. :cry:
  5. He won't be too far :)

6. Your perverse humour is evidence enough that there is no benevolent God.*

When I look around me, the number of God's creations that don't work properly is strong evidence that the design (if there is any) was not intelligent. For example, when I go camping, there's always heaps more wet wood than dry. If fire is such a cool thing, why did He make wet wood fire resistant?

If Creation was a contract job, I'd be witholding the final payment.

Maybe He created heaps of universes and we were a fun project he put together for no particular reason - just to show it could be done. A bit like the internet-controlled fridge.

*Edit: and Tourettes Cowboy was a hoot!
  7. Now Now Now!!

I'm ordering religion to stay at least one hundred meters away from science, to refrain from making any telephone contact, and to please stop emailing science and offering them 'Improved Soul Saving' for crazy low prices.
  8. Next step: Bush rewrites constitution on basis of National Security.
  9. Well I think this Judge Jones bloke is an idiot. Everybody with half a brain KNOWS that God created the universe in 6 days, that Adam & Eve were the first humans, and that Jesus was a 9 foot tall black lesbian with spina-bifida!!!

Evolution be damned!!! After what's been going on in the world lately I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that anything is actually evolving, let alone humans...
  10. But I want to look at p0rn while I eat last nights pizza for breakfast.
  11. Or single cylinder motorcycle?
  12. Maybe God has a perverse sense of humor too!

After all... I keep seeing all these bumper stickers on utes that say
    "And on the 7th day God created Harley Davidson"

13. Then traded it in for a Honda...
  14. Hmmm....

This all reminds me of that great bestseller by Ooloon Cellophid - "Who is this God guy anyway?"...

God refuses to prove he exists as proof denies faith.

Then man says but look at Honda's*... They're a dead giveaway aren't they?

And God vanishes in a puff of logic...

* Note: I'm only saying Honda as it is the shortest to write. Feel free to substitute Kawa's, Suzu's or Trumpies etc.
  15. Pfft. An SR is what you get when you apply Ockhams Razor to a BMW. "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate''
  16. That's an easy one - too make you investigate a solution to your camping dilemma and thusly increase your own inteligence! He works in mysterious ways you know :wink: :roll:
  17. Just like Keyser Soze :)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. "
  18. It was all started by a dyslexic it should have been Dog ,

why else are they able to lick themselves :)
  19. Now now Gav.

Now now Gav. Now now Gav. Now now Gav. Now now Gav. (all but the first lot because message too short)
  20. Personally I'm pretty happy with the decision.

But perhaps students should, however, be made aware that science can't explain certain things, and let them make up their own minds as to whether an intelligent being created them, or that science simply hasn't found the answer yet (science has a way of taking it's time to unlock the secrets of the universe, as history proves).