Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jekyll, Apr 6, 2008.

1. I've noticed when manoeuvring at low speed that if I feel like the bike's falling over, standing up on the pegs - instead of putting a foot out - usually seems to settle it for just long enough to get on the gas, which picks the bike up. I think it's something to do with lowering the centre of gravity ...

Sometimes you can make it out of many situations even though it doesn't look like you can, just by going for it and rolling on the throttle (I'm talking about the slow stuff only) - e.g. I've run out of room doing a u-turn and run the front tyre into a wall or gutter with the front wheel, and gotten through it unscathed by judiciously applying the throttle and hoping for the best.

Anyone have any memorable situations you escaped from just by gritting your teeth and sucking your balls into your stomach?*

* If you're male that is. I'm not clear on wether ovaries retract in times of fear.

Obligatory link to the poster:

2. You do not lower the COG by weighting the pegs.

Anyway, yeah, if the bike is falling over you've gotta either steer into it, get on the throttle, or counterweight.... all depending on what radius turn you're after.

I've had plenty where I hung on and came through against the odds. Plenty where I didn't too.
  3. Devotard: what happens with the CoG then ... anything? Is it superstition that it feels like standing up on the pegs helps the bike's handling at low speed?
  4. i'll field this one.
    the chain rotates around it, delivering power from the motor to the ground. :cool:
  5. :LOL: Well fielded Joel :LOL:
  6. For very-low-speed maneuvering, accelerating (gently!) will stand the bike up if it's going to fall "inwards".

In fact, for extremely tight U-turns and the like where your steering is at full lock and the bike is leaned into the turn beneath you, your speed (and to a lesser extent personal counter-balance) is the only way to control the lean angle of the bike.
  7. Maybe what's happening when I stand is that I weight the outside footpeg more and push the bike underneath me, so the turning circle is tighter ... ? Anyway, it certainly *seems* to help.
  8. Not superstition, but it has nothing to do with the CoG (which remains the same).
  9. It's more a case of momentum. If you're turning too slow and don't have the right momentum you are about to fall into the corner so applying power gives you the momentum to push through. "You've just got to feel the force Luke" ...
  10. you can search for this ad-naseum.

Cliff's notes - you stand up, the CoG rises. It is made up of two parts - your CoG and the Bikes CoG. The combined one must lie between them. Thus, you stand up, and the CoG of the pair must ride. Centre of Mass (and thus centre of gravity in a uniform field) is identical - where it is reacted (ie you hanging by your hands or standing on the ground) doesn't change it.

What does change when standing is a different method of control. You can feel the bike moving around more, or you have greater leverage or ability to move your weight around to react to what the bike is doing. Nothing to do with moving CG.
  11. But the commitment part is the bit that does work. If you don't commit it wont happen.
  12. I was reading it as putting his weight on the pegs, not physically standing the whole way up.