Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Comments on my riding style - Video

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Unconnected, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Evening Netrider, the other day i got the first chance to take a third person view of my riding thanks to a mate with a contour, anyway he got some video of me riding some of the Old Road (from the split section to cowan, southbound) and i thought i would put it up here for some general comments about body position and riding style, not looking so much for comments on corner lines as this is a road, but happily will take advice regarding lines by people who know the road very well and can give me a good reason as to why my line was bad for a particular corner.

Note i was not trying to go balls out in this video, im just riding along at my comfortable pace of about 7/10ths doing what would be considered the 'normal' speed for a bike on the old road.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

(watch in HD, 1080 or 720)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Fronk, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    edit - too tired, barely read the OP.
  3. It was hard to see your body position at all watching that from my phone? Your mate seemed way to far behind.
  4. yep agree with Camo,BUT love the road, I'm a Mexican and have never got up around Sydney, my next gunna
  5. I cannot get the vid to work,been having this problem for a while.The cursor changes to the hand symbol but nothing happens when I push the button.Any tips for the computer challenged on this.
  6. Try differant browsers, turn off any ad-blockers/no-script/java script blockers and if that works ramp up the security until you find what was stopping it.
    Also make sure your PC/Mac/whatever is patched.
  7. From what I can make out, you need to push your upper body over more. However it is hard to tell, even at 1080p full screen. Sometimes you need to exaggerate the hanging off, feels weird the first couple of times, but you get used to it. Also you seem to sit really upright, but then again I'm not sure if the NC24 has a more upright seating compared to the NC30/NC35.
  8. When I did my first advanced training course, many years ago, the instructor said that you should exaggerate the upper body hanging off until it feels like it looks ridiculous, that's the point you've probably got it right.
  9. Yeah you need to exaggerate. I have come to the point where I aim to get my elbow down, rather than my knee to get the body not to twist!
  10. Well as said bit hard from the distance to see everything well, but l can say your lines do look really good for the road, I found leaning more off the bike (when i had sports bikes) helps ALOT, can highly recommend Keith Codes material, I have 2 of his books and they are invaluable for the physics behind racing techniques which can be applied to the road

http://www.atwistofthewrist.com/ (just one of many links around but its a starter
  11. It loads on Chrome so might be time for a change.
    Ditto on your very plumb to the bike,try pointing your inside knee and holding on with the outside.The more your body hangs out the less the bike needs to lean. Try doing a Carl Foggity,your upper body follows your head,try sticking it out more but keep your eyes horizontal.Do the arm push to initiate the turn and then relax them.Loosen up a bit.BTW good bit of footage of my favourite road.
  12. Your bike sounds quite nice, can't really comment on your riding though.
  13. Well for road riding your lane positioning might need some work (but as others have pointed out it is a little hard to tell much from that video). However seems to be you're exiting some of those left hand corners a bit too close to the centreline, which is a great way of getting intimately acquainted with the bullbar of a 4wd (and from the lean angle on the bike there certainly doesn't seem to be any need to drift that wide for that speed).

Always best to try and follow this:
    Unless you can be sure there's no chance of oncoming traffic (ie a track or really good visibility).
  14. I look so upright because i barely fit on the bike, the first few corners the bike/tires were a bit cold so i was taking it a bit easy, the part after the bridge is better, but i agree its hard to make out where my body is and where the bike is. I do think i need to get my body over a bit more, i try to get my head outside my mirror when going properly fast/on the track. Normally i do the 1 buttcheek off the seat when i move over for the hanging off, perhaps i need to go a bit further, the bike has a wide seat.

Cheers guys, ill try to get some better footage, im getting a camera (probably contour) hopefully as an xmas gift to myself.
  15. Good video :) yep you go better in the 80 zone.

Your mate filming makes alot of steering corrections at first but seems to get better as it goes on too.
  16. Erm...tell your mate he has a very wide angle lens and that to be able to properly observe a bike ahead he needs to ride within 5-7 metres of it.

So I ca'nt really comment, other than to say there were a few corners where you were too late tipping in. And then didn't turn harder to get back to your line. ( the line)

It was a good watch but you were just too far ahead to make out any detail. Sorry. Do it again and tell him to sit up your backside. Off centre of course.
  17. The bike is very light and turns in very easily. But your ramrod strait. Your elbows flapped only once through a dip.
    Keeping up and working on style don't go too well together. And you don't need to go hard to play with your style. Just weight the outside peg a little to get the COG out and up a bit. Then turn your hips in and lean forward. but turn your hips in your set up for the corner...not when cornering. That way all you are doing is leaning forward to be getting your weight on the inside....fark getting muddled.
    Turning the hips in is opening up your body to the corner. And you move over and turn the hips as one... use the outside peg to push you across a bit. Weight on the peg lightens the weight on the bum and slide across and open... a good indicator is that your inside knee is already in position. And thar ya sit till you hit your turn in mark. The weight on the outer peg keep the bike tracking strait, cause it and you will ant to turn in too early...not good, weighty peggy stay straity :)

So now it's all about leaning into it. And because it's just leaning forward not "into" the bike it will stay stable...keeping you happy and brave :)
    But leaning forward is taking you inside... and your weight and input... because it was such a simple transition.. the bike didn't feel it and didn't react.
    So how far do you turn your hips in ???
    Most consider your chin near the brake or clutch reservoir a good position...sooooooooooo, sit on the bike while its at rest and find out. Then go play
    Now I am about to set up to jam and get totally pissed and make very loud noise and fall down
  18. You can STILL do that, mate!!??
    Kudos...I just get sick for days afterwards.
    I just sip these days. A bottle scotch lasts 3 months instead of 3 days.
    More power to ya Bretto! :)

Yes, sorry off topic.

OP, try and get a better video, and we'll be able to comment more directly.
  19. Cheers for that bretto, i think i understood most of what you were trying to say, after watching the video i was very surprised that i looked so straight on the bike, because when im riding i feel like i am leaning much further over the tank/behind the screen than i clearly am, and my forearms are almost resting on my knees most of the time, i always try to keep the forearms on the same plane as the bars. As for moving over early, not sure if your saying thats a good or a bad thing but generally if im going to have a go at the corner ill shift as early as possible with out looking too stupid, and normally have 1 ass cheek off the seat as taught by KC (whos videos and books pretty much taught me to ride well before id ever sat on a bike)

As for more videos, sadly while i did get a contour of my own, my bike also decided that it would blow its seals on the left hand fork a few days ago and pissed oil all over the fork legs and road. Not good, my bike has a reputation for its suspension going bad due to the design, (TRAC anti dive forks, not as good of an idea as once thought clearly) so could be off the road for a fair while, being out of work doest help either.
  20. It's hard to hang off one of those at that speed. They turn in so easily. Kinda why I was emphasizing weighting the opposite side of the bike for stability.
    Old Ducati's, Viffers and the ilk are great for learning to hang off the side. Their heavy, slow and very very stable. You need to hang off them to get them to turn, and you don't need that much speed your scaring yourself.
    And yup John I still do hehe. I'm so white when it comes to playing guitar. A few brews and I'm a legend haha. Lasted till 1.30 am Friday night. God I was ill Saturday. Nothing like a surf @ dawn to get rid of a hangover tho.