Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coming to a stop on a steep hill.... I'm sh!t scared!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by AhrimaaN, Jan 27, 2009.

1. OK, well... this has me really worried. I've done about 1500km on my little 125, and have been driving cars for 5 years (manual). So I know what the deal is... but I'm really worried about coming to a stop on a hill either facing up or down - usually at traffic lights.

I'm not the tallest person in the world and I'm guessing that any angle of road more than 5-10 degrees from horizontal would mean my stumpy legs would be barely touching the ground to keep the bike from rolling, let alone the fairly poor grip my boots would give me.

What is the best technique to handle this - especially in traffic? I've seen a guy who I was looking at to buy his bike drop his bike in his own steep driveway :shock: and I'm pretty freaked the same could happen to me pretty easily

Ride the clutch? Steer perpendicular (at least a bit) to the slope? Lean into the slope and only foot down on one side?

Also downhill would probably be harder to come to a stop for me as my weight is mostly forward on the bike already I think, and not reverse drive to help me at all...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also as a side note, what about parking on hills? I'd like to park leaning into the uphill slope, but then the bike is almost vertical (easy to tip?) and then the opposite is like majorly leaning over... too much stress on the stand??
  2. Use the footbrake to hold the bike in place; the foot on the ground should really only be stopping the bike from falling over, not stopping it from rolling down a hill. :)

Brake sooner. :)

I usually point the Tiger pretty much directly uphill if I have to park it on a slope, with the bike in gear to prevent it rolling backwards. Sometimes I turn it toward the kerb slightly (so that it's leaning more heavily on the sidestand).

I try to avoid parking on REALLY steep hills if possible.
  3. coming to a stop at lights, you have two legs, and two sets of brakes.

Use one of each.

Problem solved.
  4. Attach a chain and anchor to your bike, as you come to a hill grab it ready to throw over the side.

If your planning on stopping on multiple hills attach multiple anchors with detachable chains.

Remember to throw behind you for downhill and in front of you for up hill.
  5. I like the anchor idea. I'll try some av marine shops and see what the damage would be to source one.
  6. foot on rear brake, left foot on ground. as said, to balance you, not stop bike moving, thats why we have brakes :D

the anchor idea could work wonders though...
  7. Hi AhrimaaN

I can relate to your fear, as I'm also short.

Use the back brake to hold the bike on the hill.

Then accelerate as you would normally, and when you feel that the bike is fighting against the brake, let the brake go.

However I'm still waiting for the nightmare encounter of the off camber hill that will require me to do a front brake hill start (right foot down). I've tried practicing a few times, and I'm very unco.
  8. Uphill:
    I like to stop with my front brakes, keeping the bike in first gear
    Once at a complete stop (my left foot is already down) I apply full rear break and let go of front brake
    I then adjust the clutch to friction point and wait for the green
    When it's good to go, I apply a little throttle, brake off and get rolling
    Throttle on, clutch out, toot toot

Remain in first gear, clutch in, full front brake until green light
    Then clutch out to friction point and front brake off then throttle on, toot toot

Hope this helps!
  9. This makes me remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" when the guy in the old landcruiser doesn't have a working hand brake , and therefore had to carry a rock with him and had to jump out at hills , and time it right so that he could throw the rock under the wheel.

Maybe carry a rock with a bit of rope attached, pull out from under wheel when ready to move off.
  10. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Wait for green with the clutch held in, then go. Unnecessarily holding the clutch halfway against a stationary plate would surely wear it a lot after a couple of long lights.
  11. Thank dog I ride a bike with torque. Whats a hill start?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  12. 1) Find hill where no cars are nearby.
    2) Practice.
    3) Problem solved.
  13. same way as any other time you come to a stop, right foot on brake, left foot on ground. Only difference is uphill you will need a bit more throttle and clutch slippage.

They did teach you this in the l's course right? ready position etc?
  14. I thought it was ok to do this if the bike has a wet clutch system, but certainly not for a dry clutch system (eg. cars and some bikes)
  15. But still, there'd have to be *some* wear, as the clutch needs to be able to "grab" at some point along its travel, and create friction. The lubrication would reduce it, but it would still happen at some rate I would think. I'm no expert on wet clutches though. :?
  16. *nods*

A wet clutch is more resistant to (1) burning out and (2) wearing out, when being slipped.

It's still not a good idea to hold the bike on a hill using the clutch. Wet or dry, the clutch will eventually wear out.