Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coming soon to a Dainese suit near you...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fixed, Dec 18, 2005.

1. God-damn nano armour.
    I love technology.

2. That'll be useful next time I've got my fingernail on a railway track with four locomotives coming :LOL:
  3. So it can take alot 250tons/sqcm but will being able to handle these shock pressures translate to us surving an impact in a real situation, I mean do you think the material will be able to absorb the majority of the shock over large areas? like in back armour?
  4. hahahahaa :LOL: yeah, the armour survives to fight another day, but you're body gets turned into something resembling the contents of a burrito :shock: :p :p

i wanna get 2 full body suits and a couple of BIG assed sledgehammers. we can play gladiators!!! :D
  5. What every motorycyclist needs, armour that can withstand the impact of four locomotives!!

Can I get some for my bike?
  6. Your body will be fine but your limbs and head would be about 100metres down the road (and/or gelatious puddles) at that kind of impact force.

If you are thinking about having that material in a helmet I'm not sure it would do any good unless its quite flexible. The outer shell of the helmet needs to flex to extend the impact time (reducing the force transfered to the skull and brain) and distribute the force over more inner material. A rigid material that can take huge impacts might not be pentrated but it would result in more force getting to your brain so not really ideal for riders.

Bullets flying at your head....that would be a good time to have a material like this.
  7. but if you have it as a shell with adequate padding like current armour it would work ok.
    This is designed to stop bullets though.
    But then so was kevlar.
  8. You're all missing the point.

Nano-armour! Little robots! Molecular-level design!

I should have put this in the geek night thread perhaps.
  9. Old news. :p :D
  10. Nar, lets get kitted out in this grab head to toe, use some nano robots to travel back in time and go and kick some round table arse!!!!!
  11. Helmets no, but who wouldn't like a pair of knee sliders that never wear down? :)

The real world application for this stuff is endless (depending on how cheap and workable it is), it sounds like it's practically indestructable, the military must be jumping up and down like Eswen in a chocolate factory ;)

12. I see it can be made flexible too.

Cows everywhere might be breathing a sigh of relief if this is cheap to manufacturer. Nano-armour leathers with hard plates that are literally just a continuation of the same material as the points that need to be soft would be very cool.

Designed well enough you could garner almost total coverage and still retain good movement by the sounds of things.
  13. Sounds like when I got my industrial safety glasses. They will survive a brick to the face with barely a scratch, unfortinately my face wil not survive.
  14. You folks have no imagination sometimes.
  15. Nano- armour? Ah, I get it - a tac vest for your grandma
  16. Chairman, you restore my faith.

Yes! TAC Vest for grandma and Nomex hood for when it gets chilly.

But made with nano-tech for extra strangth and bragging rights!

*dies of excitement*
  17. Nano nano!
  18. Mork references will get you attacked with sticks with nails in.
  19. well actually, two points to nitpick here.

the best armour falls apart as it dissipates energy. The ultimate here is reactive or explosive armour found on main battle tanks.

arteries are fixed - the momentum of the heart causes it to tear itself off the aorta.

250t/cm^2. Aside from the fact that cm aren't valid engineering units, you might easily generate this kind of stress on a very small part of your body (eg you come off your bike at 200km/h and contact a tiny protusion of a car towball) regardless of the armour, you can only survive the injury if the armour spreads the load over enough area to get the stress down to physiologically survivable levels, which in turn means allowing the force contact event to take place over sufficient time and distance such that accelerations are lower than those posted from 1960's research into monkeys and pigs.

This is how you can survive one or two rounds of small calibre weapons (ie handguns) in a vest, but you still get massive bruising. You can't survive one engine hitting you however as you don't have enough area/volume for the load to be sufficiently reduced.

Stuff like this is always good for a laugh though if you know anything about it :D
  20. Certainly, Your Fatness :D