Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coming in the not too distant future...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by will26, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Hi guys,
    I've talked to a few of you lot before, you were very helpful on various topics...mostly about me coming over from Ireland.

Well the goodnews is I've bought my ticket, should be landing in Sydney on 5th December. So I'll be asking for help to track down bits and pieces such as bike, leathers, luggage, tent, other camping gear and so on....

I'll be buying some beers for whoever netriders I get to meet! can;t bloody wait.

2. Make sure you get a solid helmet, they're extra important here 'cos of the drop bears.
  3. drop bear???
  4. Yep they are very dangerous to riders as they tend to drop from the trees, particularly in forest roads.
    15 kilos of drop bear can kill.
  5. OMG that is the cutest pic of a baby drop bear ever!
  6. Ohh you do know that Australia has 5 of the top 10 deadliest snakes in the world right? But dont worry you hardly ever see them unless your camping or something...
  7. fcuking hell, I'm gonna bring a gun.
  8. They have also been known to work in packs, one lies in the middle of the road playing dead. Then when you slow down to avoid it several others will pounce out of nowhere.
    Blood thirsty little buggers, their claws rip through leather like a hot knife through butter.

I carry a jar of vegemite with me at all times, they love the stuff and if you throw the jar far enough away, they will leave you to fight amongst themselves for the 'prize' :)
  9. Jusyt don't scare him off by mentioning the numbats or quolls.
  10. Nah, don't shoot them. That's just gets them angry!

Well the wildlife might be dangerous but you'll find Aussies to be some of the friendliest folk around so I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip :)
  11. Stop scaring him!

Dropbears are harmless if your drinkin bundy :)
  12. Don't mention the Tassie devils either, if you come off a road in Tassie which is sparsely populated and are lying injured, make sure it isn't near dark as they are nocturnal Thise suckers can chew through bone.
    There have been instances of lost hikers or injured riders losing limbs.
    Cute critters :)
  13. The fishing's great here too!

14. yeah, the babies are cute in their infant stage.

you gotta look out for those suckers. in sydney we have drop bear day ( sort of city holiday) coming up, they have free run of the harbour bridge all day ( similar to running of the bulls in spain).

also be careful bushwalking. we dont want to find anyone else after 12 days missing. :LOL:
  15. dont forget the biggest killer of them all

16. but we are a friendly bunch, i highly recommend a bush walk in katoomba
  17. G'day everyone,...

And that brings us to yet another speicies of wildlife!

Dr Who?
  18. That photo stirs memories of the Drop Bear incident in '99. I don't think anyone will forget that. Not one survivor! Gives me chills just thinking about it.
  19. Maybe instead of a bike I should buy a tank? :p