Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Comfortable LAMS Bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by neodude112320, Oct 28, 2011.

1. So, I've been on my L's now for about 3 months now on my new 2011 CBR250R, Fantastic bike but unfourtunetly i dont think i'm built for this style of bike!

I Have bit of a bad back and RSI On my rists, now im thinking of maybe getting a GS500F As it seems to be a more comfortable ride (More of an upright position).

Can anyone recomend any other bikes that would fit this bill (LAMS Approved and More of a touring sitting positions)?

2. From my limited experience I'll recommend you look at the VTR250 and CB400- both naked's so a nice upright position, (and no expensive fairings to break) and both considered to be top-notch bikes for learners.

Those with more experience please correct me/clarify, but I was under the impression that the new CBR has a fairly upright position for a sportsbike- so I'm not sure if the GS500f as a sports-tourer will be much better than the CBR in that regard?

EDIT: Just speculating, wondering if there is any adjustments/mods/replacements etc that could be made to the CBR's handlebars/seat/suspension that could help? Possibly a much cheaper solution than buying a new bike.
  3. I'm not sure that either the VTR250 or the CB400 has that much of a different riding position, have a look here to compare..

You may be better off looking at some of the larger LAM's bikes that are restricted, I had a gs500 for a couple of months & found it caused me a bit of back pain on longish rides, although it "seems" to be a fairly big bike, its seat height isn't all that tall, so I found it a little bit cramped for my legs, which I think was the cause of my problems.

I now have a Yamaha XJ6SL that is taller & don't get comfort issues at all anymore...
  4. Have a good think about your riding position before changing bikes...

Are you carrying too much weight on your wrists?
    - straight arms?
    - load on your shoulders and upper back?
    - not gripping the tank and using core strength to support yourself?
  5. Also have a look at the Suzuki v-strom or the BMW gs650. Both lovely bikes :)
  6. Yes but neither are LAM's...
  7. The GS500 has a very upright and comfortable riding position. I had one as my first bike, loved it and I'm 6'2" and 100kg. A *lot* more upright and comfy than my CBR929 which by comparison to modern sportbikes is comfy.

The GSX650F might also be worthwhile checking out.
  8. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I actually have a 2011 cbr 250 and had the same probs
    pretty much changed the above and all probs disappeared
  9. I would suggest riding posture as well. Other than that I have an Kwaka ER6nl and its very comfy and easy to get along with.
  10. The g650gs is though the new f650gs isn't though the old one is.

The Klr650 is also comfy.

I agree with the poster above that the cbr is not that leant over so you might want to try modifying your technique.
  11. Curious to know which of these is that BMW?? ripped this out of the NSW LAM's list..

F650CS SCARVAR 2002-05 652
    F650CS SE ROAD 2004-06 652
    F650GS DAKAR 2000-08 652
    F650GS F650GS 2000-08 652
    F650ST F650ST 1998 652
    F650 G650 GS 2009-11 652
  12. i found the Suzuki GZ250 pretty comfy when i test rode it but i have no experience only had my bike a week
  13. All of them are BMW actually. Except maybe the F650st haven't heard of that one.

I was referring to the third last and the last. These are the most common, the rest are the same bike with different bits.
  14. I havn't been riding for long (2 Months?) so it could be my technique so i'll try working on that before i rush out and buy a different bike because the CBR Is such a nice bike to ride it would be a shame to sell it because of my mistakes!

So i'm guessing that rather than relaxing my arms i should have them as straight as possible while gripping the tank with my legs?
  15. I think you didn't quite read it right, he is asking if that is what you do, and yes, your arms should be bent a bit...
  16. honda deauville
    honda transalp
    bmw GS650
    cruisers (vstar, virago, shadow, rebel etc)

but if you want comfy i would say the deauville. Nice tourer comfiness. Only trouble is a) you'll die of boredom and b) you can't find them because all the owners died of boredom before they put them up for sale.

Any larger bike will be more comfy than your cb'r'250 'r'
  17. My girlfriend bought a CBR250R 2011 as well as her first bike, so I've had the pleasure of taking it for a spin on a few occasions.. It's a fantastic little learner/commuter bike, hold on to it...

Seriously you aren't going to get anymore upright a seating possition than this bike. So I'll tell you what I have being teaching her today when she said her wrists were sore, and she couldnt stop ripping the throttle on while trying to brake to a stop....

This is all about loosening up on the bike, she was clenching on for dear life! You do not need to.. Lets disect this a little:

Q: How many contact points do you have with the bike?
    A: 7, both feet, booth legs around the tank, you bum, and both your hands.

Q: How many do you need?
    A: The racers have about 3-3.5, half a bum cheek, one leg against the tank, and thier feet on the pegs (some even take one of these off).

Q: What about they hands? they are holding on aren't they?
    A: No they not, they are NOT using thier arms/hands to hold on, or support them. They are saving thier hands for controlled inputs.

They can't excersize good throttle control, quick counter steer, and stabalise the bike if they are grabbing on for dear life, or resting thier body weight on the bars! They are using their legs and core strength to support them on the bike, leaving thier upper body and arms nice and relaxed, this helps to stabilise the bike, and lets the bikes suspension work properly which in turn gives greater grip, which helps them hold those obscene lean angles.

There is an excersize called the "chicken wings excersize", check on a regular basis as you are riding that you are loose enough up top. You should be able to flap your arms like a chicken (Do it descretely so you don't look like a dork) but just regularly check that your arms, hands, is nice and relaxed and loose, so you are not leaning on them or using them to fight the bike. I think it will find it should help..