Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

comes with the Territory

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by loki, Apr 25, 2008.

1. and yesterday, my bike went down with the Territory too

riding home westward down the Great Western Highway, i crested the hill that rolls down to the Cumberland/Grt Western intersection. I'm in the far left lane, doing about 65ish in an 80 zone, taking it easy cause i'd just cased an unmarked cop and it's wet as well, when approaching the intersection a silver Ford Territory pulls out of the congested middle lane in front of me, doing about half my speed.

these things tend to happen in the blink of an eye
    one minute i'm on the horn, backing off the throttle and making angry hand movements at him through his window

then we've contacted, and i can only presume his car has hit my right handlebar and twisted it suddenly, which i think is what actually caused the bike to go down

then my bike is making that terrible sound, scraping along the wet road and i'm straight back on my feet jogging down the road after him, scanning his licence plate. he's still rolling away, but mounts the gutter and turns around on the grass before pulling over. a few cars have slowed down to make sure i'm alright, but i'm too preoccupied stomping towards him, throwing down the gloves, throwing down the ear plugs, walking up to him before pointing in his face and using my angry-daddy voice tell him simply, HEADCHECKS

he's pretty shaken, and i didn't see him light that cigarette but he apologises and we both calm down. he walks back to my bike with me, and helps me lift it up. minimal damage. the good thing about these RS125s, they're DESIGNED to be dropped and skidded around by reckless youths. left fairing is cracked and scraped, front left air-scoop is ground down, left blinker was ground off, right blinker was hanging by it's wire after hitting his car, both handlebars twisted and loosened, gear lever is mangled, exhause is scratched and bent in, and clutch lever is a bit wobbly. bike still starts

he is genuinely amazed how his rear-vision mirror was broken off. it's not such a mystery to me :wink:

now i've established how the bike is, i look at myself. wearing full gear, apart from the Marc Ecko jeans i bought in hawaii last year, which have a small, now red hole on the right knee. new Ecco shoes are okay. skinned the tops of both knees, and that's it.
    i ask him how his no-claim bonus is. he tells me it's a company vehicle and they're insurance will cover it. ask him how are we going to handle this, and i get out a notebook and we start trading details. he's a few years older than me, and has his riders license. and he tells me he has one of the older RS125s. i'm amazed i've just been taken out by a rider.

he's pretty good about it all, helpful and apologetic, offers to drive behind me to make sure i get home. promises to get the insurance ball rolling straight away when he gets back to work. i seriously doubt he's going to screw me over, but i get the phone number of a witness who saw the whole thing anyway. then proceeded to ride to the nearest servo for cigarettes

c'est la vie, huh.
    think i got out of my first car-accident very lightly, and luckily
    could have been much worse, my bike wasn't a write-off, no-one ran over me after i crashed, i didn't cause a second accident avoiding the first, and got all the proper details so i think my ass is covered. bike was going to Motorino on Tuesday for scheduled servicing anyway, so my biggest problem now is waiting for parts from JSA, the Aus importers of Aprilia. but it's not like they can keep my bike off the road all summer again like last time. had my bike back on the road what, like 3weeks? bam. straight back to the shop. at least i squeezed some religious 15mm-chicken-strip rides out to Bells Line and Wisemans in that time and got the last few rays of sunshine and warmth out of the autumn before it gets too damn cold.

this is why you wear protective gear, kids. so you can walk away from dumb shit like this.
    here's another reason why you wear protective gear
  2. Sorry, that sounds like a write-off. ;-)

Great story, you did well. Hope it all turns out OK.

Wet sliding is better than dry - you can sometimes end up with no real damage unless, as in this case, someone hits you.

All the best

Trevor G
  3. Are you sure it's not you who has hit him amidst all your angry hand gestures horn beeping and busting off his mirror?

Better hope he doesn't read this forum, it's called criminal damage.
  4. err wait, you had time to slow down, beep, wave angry hand gestures and bust his mirror in the blink of an eye?

sure sounds like you could've avoided this altogether...
  5. One of the strangest tales I've read in some time but amusing nonetheless. :LOL:
  6. i think he mentioned something about a dickhead driver not doing a headcheck too....
    and the driver is a rider too?shame!!
  7. Werd. One spare hand for gestures? fcuk me, one hand would be hard on teh brake, the other on clutch..........

Regards, Andrew.

8. i never said i broke his mirror. it's not a mystery to me how it was damaged, because i clearly remember the car it was attached to veering into the side of me.
    there, in a nutshell.
  9. oh, completely
    nothing like the end of the week and pure stubborness to affect those split second decisions
  10. ah the age old dilema, avoiding a multi vehicle accident where you would likely not be at fault, just to end up loosing control of the bike and being solely at fault. i rather wear the blame for the accident and increase my chances of being able to walk away instead of taking a trip to a hospital.

your choice to hold your ground and run the risk of being hurt very badly. lucky for you, you walked away.
    at least the bloke was cooperative about it.
  11. Sorry Loki, but I'm gonna tackle you on this one, even though I'm sorry you went down, mate..

I've said it many times before, to many others, so it's not aimed you singularly, Loki...but you failed the fundimental rule - RIDE THE BIKE.
    While you were busy blowing a useless M/bike horn, arm waving, and looking across at the driver of the car...etc etc...you were'nt riding the bike, and left yourself vulnerable to far worse things.

Did distracting yourself with all that wasted energy contribute to you hitting the road?...only you can answer that. Did it change the possible outcome...Probably not.

One day...someone busy blowing their horn, and gesticulating to a driver who cut them off etc, is going to go right under the Mack Truck they failed to noticed while they were doing all that...

I'm glad that you are aok, and can live to ride another day, Loki. :)
    Apart from some poor driving by others, there is always something to learn from our experiences...even the bad ones.

12. such is life. as far as bad luck goes...i was pretty lucky

it's true what they teach you at the Pre-learners. everyone is accountable, in an accident.

i'm still thinking about that night, and the other choices i could have made
    apart from holding my ground, like i did, there were cars in the middle lane to my right, and to my left in the merging lane for the Cumberland, leaving the only possible solution to attempt an emergency brake on the wet roads. there's a lot of possible bad endings for this story. bad luck. i had to cop one for the team. at least we have one more educated driver on the road, who i think will earn a lesson after having the awkward talk with his boss on Monday explaining what happened

of course, i haven't escaped from this without learning a few tough lessons of my own as well... that i'm not being nearly enough paranoid riding peak hour in the wet
  13. That's a good rule to apply to riding a bike. One of teh first things I was told when learning to fly was no matter what happens, FLY THE PLANE. Even on teh ground.
    There's a lot of good advice that transfers across from aviation to bikes, they're both very unforgiving if mistakes are made, they both require lots of concentration, and they're both require a lot of your attention once the engine is running.

Regards, Andrew.
  14. :) That's where I got it form Andrew...Took it with me from my own flying days, as a humble private pilot....And you are right...alot of the teachings are transferrable to bike riding. :)
  15. I think maybe you're all being a bit harsh on Loki. Sometimes you really believe you did all these things, but in reality you didn't.

Having said that, I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out.

If the middle lane is congested and you're doing 65kmh, the speed differential is such that someone may well want to get into the faster moving lane. True, they should do a head check and they shouldn't dart between lanes, but when you're the only person who will suffer, assume the worst will happen.
  16. Not in my case, cejay...(at least, I was'nt aiming to be hard on Loki)
    I don't believe Loki had much of a chance at all, apart from the theoretical hind-sight stuff that usually comes out...We react the way we react at the time and it's not a case of wrong or right, but better or worse. (generally speaking)
    As an aside from the actual accident, I was pulling Loki up, and mainly saying it out loud for the benefit of other riders, that blowing your horn, gesticulating etc etc, usually only serves to distract you from the one thing you need to be doing - which is "Riding the bike".
    We each need to keep our heads in the game, especially during emergency situations. (without suggesting at all that Loki was'nt doing that)...and not meaning to sound like I'm lecturing you either ceejay, since I know you know what I'm meaning. :)
    Only Loki can judge how that might have effected events at the time.

I've tossed myself down the road enough to know that hindsight can only help in the NEXT situation (hopefully),and is utterly useless when preceeded with the phrase "should have", mate...

No ill-judgement toward Loki was intended. ( Hi Loki) :)

17. Ooops!...I forgot. You said the MAGIC WORDS, ceejay!! - speed differential. Thanks mate. :grin:
    Pay attention to that, Newbies! :) :)
  18. Hi Raven,

Point taken and I wasn't having a dig at anyone in particular.

Personally, the sort of traffic situation where one lane is moving so much faster than another, is one where I take extra precautions and actively anticipate someone moving into my lane. That works most of the time but there always occasions when the person moves as you pass them. Having said that, I tend to go a little slower than I could, just to provide some extra time.

I also haven't had an accident yet that in hindsight (and if I am brutally honest) I could not have avoided.
  19. No worries mate...I know..I just wanted to clarify my intentions for Loki. :)