Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Come on then - criticise me!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 17SJS, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Okay, so I'm going a little nutty thanks to the fact that I can't get back on the bike until June - a combination of having an ACL reconstruction in November, and promising the other half I wouldn't get back on until post-wedding in May.

Unfortunately, I have a pic of myself as my desktop image - conceited much? - and I can't help analysing it and trying to work out what I'm doing wrong. I just couldn't seem to push myself far enough to get the knee down and get around the corners quicker.

So, I'm throwing the pic over to you lot, and asking you the same question - what's going on here? Is my body position off, did I upgrade to a big bike too soon, or do I just need to grow a pair and push the bar further next time around?

EDIT: Yep, I see the other thread 4 or 5 below mine - just thought this might be an interesting exercise with a pic for reference.

Attached Files:

2. go faster and drop the elbow and dont try to do it
  3. Define 'drop the elbow'..? I conciously try to keep my upper body loose and relaxed, and my elbow is pretty much just hanging free.

Should point out that the main point for me here is to corner quicker, not get the knee down (before I get chewed out on that). Scuffed knee sliders are a bonus.

Looking forward to getting back out there...might be a good opportunity to take up the tuition option while I've forgotten my old riding style.
  4. I reckon, if you pop your knees wider, angle your hips toward the inside just a little more, you'd just about have it down right there. Try and rotate the down knee out just a little more, and go just a tiny little bit quicker.

You are the one nearer the camera, right?

Drop the elbow - two ways you can read that. Wind on more throttle, or bend your upper body further forward and down and inside, so that you could almost take a bite out of the back of your throttle glove. I'm not sure which one he meant either...
  5. Move your ass over drop your elbow and try to kiss your mirror ;)
  6. Oh right - forgot to mention that point. I'm the one nearer the camera. :D

I'm hoping this knee reconstruction has done what it's supposed to - my right knee was the one done, so when this pic was taken (pre-op) I couldn't safely put my full weight on it through corners in case it gave way. I reckon i might be able to get off the seat a bit further when I get back into it...

Incidentally, I'm leaning towards the "i need more balls" option too.
  7. I had my ACL done 2 years ago using my hamstring took 8 month's to fully recover....I feel your pain although I have a friend who just had it done with a synthetic one and is almost fully recovered after 3 month's.....
  8. Basic technique looks fine to me. You could hang off more, get the inside elbow out and down closer to the road, and so on, but really not necessary. Just gotta practise a bit more and get some confidence to go faster around the corners and your knee will go down for sure.

At this stage, I'd say don't change your body positioning. If it's comfortable for you now, then run with it. Just build up your cornering confidence. It'll come with time.
  9. From this image, it 'appears' that you can get further off the bike. 1 full arskcheek is a good max to limit yourself to.

So if you are hanging off less than that, there is room to get further off. But beware not to rotate your hips around the inside of the tank. A common problem.
    This will prevent efficient body position. You must keep your shoulders largely square to the bike and move them across the bike, remaining perpendicular to the bike.

To hang further off and maintain efficient body position, you are of course going to have corner at higher speeds, and be comfortable with that, in order adopt a more aggressive body position...AND have appropriate tyres that can handle the higher speeds and lean angles, with track pressures etc.
    So cornering speed is something you will need to work on, so you will need to push to your limits...cautiously, but still making steady progress, because your whole technique has to grow with it.
    Going by that specific photo, your form looks pretty good, but I note than your RH leg seems to be just hanging in space. It doesn't appear like you've pushed it out there with purpose. Nevertheless your body position, seems appropriate to your lean angle in this shot. And that's good! :)

Anyway... Just a few personal thoughts that might assist you a bit.
  10. <qualifier> Several drinks - happy St Pats to y'all, t y'all. </qualifier>

Don't talk sheet my friend, you're doing a wonderful job there, to be sure to be sure.

Tiny little steps, ok? Anybody who takes brave pills and throws a leg over, wakes up in traction. Just do what you're doing plus a poofteenth of one percent per lap. Tiny bit more entry speed, tiny bit more lean angle, tiny bit later and faster tip in. Tiny bit later apex. Tiny bit earlier on the throttle. Tiny - truly tiny - little bit more lean angle. Rotate your body out toward where you want to go. Open your hips and point your whee fullah at the exit of the corner - he'd like to see it. Now think of all the nice and tender things you've said to the Coleens over the years. Get your knees just a little further apart and your head a tiny bit lower and relax and enjoy your youth, because it won't last fer ever.
  11. funny how everyone here who replied has a display picture of their knees touching the tarmac
  12. You're fat and ugly.

What? You told me too????
  13. I was gonna say he's got a fat arse. :LOL:
  14. What does that mean? I don't get it tonee.?

15. ...

What? There's nobody here but us chickens...
  16. I think he is just implying that it is good advice :)
  17. Oh! Ahaa.... I hadn't even noticed that - ta!
  18. If you look a your shoulders and hips they are not well aligned with your spine.
    Your spine is trying to attack the corner but your shoulders are pointing to the outside of the corner. Same with your hips. Not fully committed. Almost like your trying to lean in but mentally counterbalancing at the same time to stay on the bike instead of letting the G forces hold you on.
    I like what your doing with your head. Good balance there. Keeping the eyes nice and level and looking where you want to go. keep that up.
    Get your outside leg further up and flat on the bike. Get a grip with it.
    Attack the corner more with your chin. In that photo you would be at the point you would want to be getting all your weight up there and the chin over the brake reservoir.
    A big part is getting use to the G forces. Getting to learn how much a tyre will grip before it lets go. How far it will lean.
    When you are in balance and have the bike in control its not so much a matter of leaning the bike over that far, or of holding it up off the deck. Because you are pushing it down. Or pulling :) It wants to spring back up.
    Just start turning in a little later so you have to turn in that bit sharper.
  19. Any of you knee draggers feel free to correct me here...

But most of your weight should be on your inside leg. So for a right hander (like the one you have posted up) it would be tough to do it with a bung knee.
  20. Excellent critique, with a dash of encouragement, minus critical tone...anyone would think you did this for a living! Ahem. :)