Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Colouring stock black rims white

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by PGriz, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Hi All,

Couldn't find a thread, wife has a recently obtained a CBR125R, it has the standard black rims, we've looked at some options such as sticker-tape for the rims.

However after some thought and picture photo-shopping she decided she wants to colour the existing rims white.

Can we just spray them white? or should we get the powder coated white?

Has anyone sprayed rims? is there anything too look out for in this case?

any advice would be great.
  2. Powder coating is a more durable finish...

how long should it last / how much abuse ??? most people find the cb125 gutless/useless/forgettable after a fairly short period of ownership.

If it was me I'd save the money for the real bike that follows...
  3. Hehehe, yeah I've heard the cbr125r abuse plenty of times, but for her its a good learner bike, however whilst learning she wants to look good ;).

So i guess I'm leaning to just spraying them white, easy to touch up if/when she drops a bike or scrapes a rim.
  4. personally I wouldn't spray them. If you're going to do it, do it properly. powdercoat. Spray will look shit and not last. Which will be a major turn off and cost you money when you come to sell the bike. You'll either have to clean the paint off or get it done right.

no idea on the cost.. but I'd definately say that if she absolutely HAS to colour them, do it properly or don't do it at all.
  5. **** it man, just spray em! who cares?! ive sprayed rims in the past on track bikes. as long as your not all poofy about your bike it makes no odds. if you want to , just do it!

just make sure you prep them properly and the finish wont be too bad. not amazing but not as bad as everyone makes out.
  6. powdercoating isn't really that expensive and the difference in finish will be easily worth the cost
  7. Its going to be a pita to keep them clean!

8. Lol - shes now decided to just add red rim tape - lol - that was choice 2 in her list.
  9. Perfect - just get it done QUICK before she changes her mind again.
  10. Id reccommend powder coating

Youd have to hang the bike up somewhere for a day or two and remove the rims and unmount the tyres.
  11. I recommend buying a Yamaha :)
  12. Sandblast and 2 pack white.