Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

coloured led lights illegal?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ibanezboy21, Nov 18, 2010.

1. thinking of buying blue leds for my running lights (small lights next to headlights)

are they illegal?
  2. Yes, forward facing lights must be white, except indicators must be amber/orange.
    Blue is illegal. Saw a poor old lady pulled over and given the going over at the GP last year. She took her sons car to get the dinner and got done for blue leds mounted in the window squirters mounted on the bonnet.
  3. Cops are very protective of their red and blue lights, don't go anywhere near these colors.

I have 6000k HIDs and white wedge base bulbs for my running lights
  4. Ditto what those guys said. I once ran a car (typical {tasteful!} 'street racer' kinda thing) that had blue 'eyelids' that cut down the top quarter of the headlight enclosure.

I was asked to remove them at a random breath test because the headlights shone through the 'lids and produced a dim blueish light. I was gobsmacked, but did what the officer said.

I wouldn't mess with any sort of aftermarket lighting other than your regular coloured head, tail & indicator lights.

Cheers - boingk
  5. The easy answer to all these questions is; everything is illegal. And I'm not being cynical. It would be easier to list what can be done.

6. It's almost borderline illegal just to own a motorbike these days.
  7. Sad but true ... its a joke !