Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cold weather questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Modest, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I rode to work today for the first time, and lucky for me the conditions were terrible. It had been raining overnight so the road was slippery, plus light rain began coming down as I left my house. There was also fog, so visibility was down considerably. The temperature was pretty cold, too, and combined with wind chill I was really feeling it in my hands. My gloves are not winter gloves, they are made for cool to hot weather, not cold, and as a result my hands went numb by the time I got to work. I was wearing thermals underneath my bike gear, which kept the rest of my body warm.

The other major problem was my visor fogging up from exhaling from my nose and mouth. Wasn't sure how to counter this one, and had to ride with the visor up one notch to allow air flow, which allowed a lot of cold air in and made the ride uncomfortable.

With all that said, I'm looking for some feedback from fellow netriders on how to tackle these problems:

a) What is a solid winter glove to buy that will stop my hands from going numb again

b) How to stop visor fog (from the inside of the visor) on a really cold morning?

c) unrelated: is the motorcycle seat supposed to be warm after you've used the bike?

Thanks, guys.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Google is your friend for a) (plus gear has changed a LOT since I bought my last set of gloves). Others will be more help than I for this.

b) has a number of potential answers.
    If you're stuck and only have to ride say an hour or less you can use a tissue to wipe a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid onto the inside of your visor. It's temporary, doesn't last overly long but works in a pinch. There are various products that do the same thing, some last longer, some don't. For a longer term solution you can get a neck warmer that has a "snout", or even just a piece that seals over the top of your nose and directs your breath down instead of onto your visor. A friend of mine had one and seemed to think it worked well.

c) You've had your bum on the seat. Either the seat will warm up or your bum will get cold.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. You could try an inner glove. RS Taichi sell some. Heated handgrips would be a more expensive option.

For visor spit in it and smear it around like you do with a diving mask or wipe it with an anti fog agent.
  4. heated grips an option?

never thought id ever get a pair till. the new bike came with a set and have been a life saver since.
  5. #5 Modest, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    I have researched winter gloves, but I find that first hand recommendations are more trustworthy than reviews and such.

I just had a look and found a dririder neck warmer with a snout on it, looked pretty nice - and I think I'd prefer to just wear that rather than apply detergent or anti-fog product to the visor every few days.

Would it be preferable to buy a separate winter glove for these conditions, or to just buy a thermal inner glove? Wouldn't that make the fit extra tight of the outer glove? I guess the plus side to the winter glove is buying a waterproof one and killing two birds with one stone.

I have heated grips, I just don't have them set up yet (the old owner had them but took the system off due to leaving it on and draining the battery on his bike many times). I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary, would a good winter glove be enough on its own to stop hands from going numb? Heated grips are an option.
  6. You've nailed it. Really depends on what the gloves you have now are like.

7. Fogoff or similar inserts do wonders to stop your visor from fogging up. If you wear glasses you still need to do the dish washing liquid/shampoo/shave cream trick on them.

I've actually found that the dish washing liquid trick works for a few hours. But there is a down side, if you've used just a tad too much it can case a smearing effect which can be quite bad.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. If you plan to commute during winter then the following accessories are a must -

A: winter gloves (waterproof)
    B: inner gloves (I prefer Marino wool from the brand Ice Breaker)
    C: balaclava (again from Ice Breaker)
    D: neck warmer ( yup. I8)

You already have thermal wear so that's good. You can throw in warm socks in the mix as well but being on the bike and shivering is not a good feeling.

I haven't tried heated grips as yet but everyone swears by it so probably a good thing.

Foggy visors can be a pain as well but for my Shoei helmet, I got a anti-fog insert. Not 100% but does the job pretty well. Haven't tried any other options but still have to crack open the visor at red lights. Whilst moving, no issues.

9. a heated grips
    b pinlock inserts
    c yes
    • Like Like x 2
  10. heated grips, there is no other solution !!
    Fog in visor?? Pinlock system, those who have it swear by it, I do!! Those who dont, try n find cheaper alternative, whats your life worth? It can be that simple..
  11. +1
    I just got some fantastic winter gloves.. warm and waterproof..

12. Wind chill factor is by far the worst when riding in cold weather...times that by 10 in the wet.

As mentioned above, waterproof gloves and heated grips will keep your hands warm and toasty to some extent. The heated grips will keep your palm warm, however the outside of your hand may still be cold and might be uncomfortable. It gets worse when the gloves are wet. If you want ultimate warm hands, waterproof gloves, heated grips and handlebar wind reflectors.

Regarding fogging visor. I use RS Taichi Fog Out (Refer to this thread). It works great on both visor and glasses, although you do have to apply once a week or so (more often if you clean your visors constantly). I might try a pinlock system though seeing as I am getting lazier by the day.

Neck warmer is a must. I have a fleece one which has kept me warm for many years...although not waterproof, I have not had issues with it getting wet...only a little damp on severe downpours.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I suppose that depends on the individual doesn't it. Personally I find the only setting that is comfortable is OFF. My hands sweat enough already. Another alternative is good quality winter gloves and 'bark buster' style hand guards to keep the wind of your hands.

Sure the pin lock/fog off inserts keep your visor fog free, but if you wear glasses then the cheaper alternatives are the only alternatives you have to keep your glasses from fogging up.
  14. If you already have them it would be my first stop. as it will give you the best outcome for next to no $$$ and really easy to wire up.
  15. A) move from Melbourne to somewhere warm.
    8) move from Melbourne to somewhere warm.
    C) yes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Just don't wire them directly to the battery, it can be quite annoying to come back to a bike with a flat battery when you invariably forget to turn your grips off.
  17. Not Wagga. It's warmer in Summer, but a damn site colder in winter.
  18. Go coastal. I have winter gloves that get used about a dozen times a year during the day, more often at night though. I have never understood heated grips.

Why did my b) turn I to a smilie?
  19. The more layers you have between your hand and the grip, the less feel you have. Additionally, if you have heated grips and lots of layers you may not even feel the heat!
    You need waterproof winter gloves, no question. Fit the heated grips and you will have the best two options at your disposal.
    Mind you, if your arms are cold your hands will be no matter what you do.
    • Like Like x 1