Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cold starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by boldor, Apr 16, 2007.

1. gidday,I recently bought a 1981 honda cb900f and now that the cold weather is upon us i have a lot of trouble starting it, does anyone know if there is a right procedure and what it is,ie 2 twists of the throttle turning over with the kill switch on etc.

2. Many bikes are different/fussy in starting procedures, I guess you need to find out what works for yours.

Does it have a choke? If so, I would try full choke, NO throttle, and hit the starter until it catches. Let it warm up for a minute or so before you touch the throttle.

This may not work for you, but not a hopeless starting point.

3. Older bike like that, no throttle whilst cranking, full choke. When it catches, give it enough throttle for a fast idle (choke may increase teh idle speed by itself), and let off some choke if you can, if it starts stumbling, leave the choke for a few more seconds, and slowly ease off choke till you're just running on the throttle.
    You may have to modify this here and there to suit your bike, but should be close enough.

Regards, Andrew.