Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cold starting Honda VTR 250

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by citysurfer, Feb 6, 2006.

1. I got my first bike a week ago, a Honda VTR 250. Before this I had pretty much no riding experience.

I find it really hard to start my bike in the mornings. Apparently I nearly flooded the bike a couple of days ago because I had the choke fully open.

Can anyone give me some advice on cold starting the bike? a friend told me that it appears my bike has a pretty touchy choke :roll: not that means alot to me at this early stage.

Cheers

2. hi citysurfer-
    I've had some dodgy starting moments on my vtr too, my fault though.
    I lost the choke ring while changing the handlebars (duh)- so It's cold starts for me most of the time!

I've found the bike runs fine without the choke anyway, I just give it a few revs when starting, and keep it revving very low (so as to not let it stall) for 20 seconds or so.

When I had the choke, I'd leave it half to 2/3rds open for about the same time, no problems. If the engine felt like it was about to die, a quick twist to get the revvs back up did the trick.

Hope this helps!

3. Yeah i dont use my choke much either, mostly just start it up and give it a few revs and shes right. Otherwise pull the choke on start it up and back it off as soon as it starts to idle.

4. You mean choke CLOSED :) Using the choke is closing it.

This time of year not many machine using much choke, if you do feel you need to use it, i bet not much more than a 1/4 would be needed. Try using less or none, as described above.