Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cold start problem on bike, happens sometimes wont idle ?!?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by BKN, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I have a cbr600f4i. 90% of the time its fine, gives me no dramas. everytime i start, it revs to 3000rpm, then 2000rpm, then 1500rpm and idles sweet.

every now and again, when i start it it will not idle or cold start. it will shake like no tomorrow and want to stall and sounds terrible. this doesnt only happen in the mornings, happens when i go into the shops for 5 minutes, come out to an already warm bike, and it still happens.

can anyone shed some light?

2. Assuming that the plugs and filter are in good condition...

Because it will be something to do with the ECU, it would probably be easier for a honda dealer to diagnose. Could be anything from a fault with the ecu, worn connections, to the charging system, etc.

It sounds as though the ecu isn't recognising that the bike is cold, and feeding it the regular fuel mixture, which will cause it to stall (same symptoms as having no manual choke set on a carby bike). Perhaps it is something as simple as the [electronic] choke cable loose at the carbs?

It could also be the TPS, but if so it would also not idle properly sometimes when hot.
  3. its just been serviced so all parts should be ok.

i suspect something is loose, reason why its not detecting the right cold start temperature which is why its playing up. it is also fuel injected so yer...dunno.