Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by nice2Bnaked, Mar 16, 2007.

1. After much deliberation on my project bike, Im considering having the bike powdercoated. Will sandblasting effect the frame? I've stripped most of it with paint stripper (honda paint was never meant to come off) and the polished bits have come up nice. I might just go the whole thing one colour (wheels, swingarm and frame)
    Will sandblasting pitt? can I polish it ounce its been blasted? If I remove the bearings from the swing-arm, can I re-install them?

2. The only problem I could see with media (sand) blasting is sometimes it can heat the part and distort it. I assume it's steel since you want it powdercoated, and the steel is probably fairly thick so you shouldn't have a problem. You could also try an acid dip, or just finish it yourself with paint stripper. The media they use will depend on the finish. You can polish it once it's been blasted. Depending on the bike, you should be able to re-install the swingarm bearings but you may need to use a large press (eg. 20+ ton)
  3. Dont sand blast if you want a 'nice' finish, the paint is just a top coat, it's the preperation that counts.

Now you could get it wet bicarb blasted, it's used for blasting car panels, give this guy a call, he's sort of a mate i met through work, he's in to Cobras
    John Cini

John Cini