Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch Vs Neutral

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Iondah, May 22, 2007.

1. When I stop at the lights or at a stop sign or whatever, I generally just pull in the clutch rather than putting the bike in neutral (like I do in the car).

I've had a few people say I shouldn't be doing that because it'll wear out the clutch very quickly.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me because I've always been told it's the number of engages/disengages that wears out a clutch not holding it in engaged/disengaged position. So, holding the clutch in at the lights requires only 2 changes where putting in neutral would require 4.

Anyway... wanted to ask some people who know better than me, so which is best? :)
  2. Dont ever ask to borrow my cars or bike if thats what you do at lights.

You are placing components under load holding the cluch in. Ok for very short periods. Almost as bad as riding the clutch instead of using brakes. That really p!sses me off.
  3. Nah I dont ride Suzuki :LOL:
  4. In the training courses I've done they've told us to always just pull the clutch in incase you see a 4wd screaming up behind you that isn't going to stop. Don't laugh it happens when people are distracted and many have died this way. I remember a few stories from a netrider of having to move quickly to avoid a collision.
  5. You should be arrested for cruelty to thrust bearings... :mad:
  6. Jesus Christ! I thought it was an innocent enough question.

Neutral it is! :butt:
  7. I will always select neutral on the ST2 as it is a dry clutch.
    However in saying that I will make sure there are no vehicles coming up behind me before I do so.
  8. Nothing wrong with the question :grin: Better to ask than die wondering :)
  9. then only put ur right foot down and be ready for first gear again anyway. this isn't going to affect your reaction time anywhere near as much as it is to make sure on your lurch forward you're not gonna get cleaned up anyway.

if you are stopped at lights thats generally because cars are going across your line of travel. just holding the clutch in and being ready to go forward isn't going to help you all that much.

if you are constantly paranoid and aware of your immediate surroundings and escape routes at all times, under all conditions, this is possible, but you probably have grey hair and dirty undies from the stress you put yourself through.
  10. I think it is a great question.
    I had never heard that you should prefer Neutral over using the clutch, but I tend to pop it in Neutral anyway. Saves holding the clutch lever and I can stretch the back etc.

When splitting to the front of unfamiliar lights I use the clutch of course ;)
  11. In short - there is the consequence/side effect. Make your own choice on what you feel comfortable doing.
  12. So what's the story - Inci, can you explain this a bit more fully, but so that 2-year olds like me can understand?

I understand it puts the clutch cable under load, what are these "thrust bearings" of which you speak? I haven't thrust in a bear ring since the court case.
  13. good question...

i knew there was some wear involved (if you have your bike on a rear stand, your back wheel will still rotate even if you have the clutch in - provided you are in first gear)

However, i heard there wasnt enough power to cause too much stress/damage the clutch at such a low RPM anyway. Plus - most bikes have a wet clutch - so if there is any wear and tear, i'm sure its minuscule
  14. In my car at the lights I hold the clutch in, in 1st gear! Nobody has told me its bad, thats the first I've heard of it.
  15. It's not just load on the clutch plates its all the other components that are engaged in disconnecting the drive. (cable, hydraulics, master and slave cylinders, thrist bearings, actuator mechanicals, etc)

There is no rule that says if you don't do this your head will explode but. I guess some of us are more mechanically "sympathetic" than others.
  16. My, there must be some real fragile bikes you're all riding :LOL:

It's your choice. I tend to snick into neutral when held at lights mainly because I've got a heavy clutch. I also find that if I hold the clutch for a long period I can become a little de-sensitised to feeling the biting point, probably due to the pull on the lever.

Mechanically, it shouldn't cause any problems in the grand scheme of things and I wouldn't worry about it. Pulling monos and fast starts are what break clutches.
  17. Ok, this is a car clutch, but the issue is the same. Look on the RH side of the diagram and you will see a thrust bearing. The problem with holding the clutch lever in, is that the trust bearing is doing two separate tasks, it is providing a rotating bearing surface, and it is also side-loaded by the clutch actuating mechanism holding the plates apart. This combined load in two different directions puts enormous load on the bearing, and should be kept to an absolute minimum. It has nothing to do with wearing the clutch plates, it is the actuating mechanism you are putting the strain on.

18. Sure that's a clutch? Looks like something to do with a brake to me. I'm trying to realte it to a bike clutch basket and getting nothin'.
  19. More clutches here
    Each to their own :)
  20. I'm much more comfortable with those diagrams - now where's the thrust bearing on one of those?