Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch Seized - Is it the Thrust Washer?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ritz, May 16, 2009.

1. Lately my clutch was becoming more and more sticky, when slowing down with the clutch engaged the engine would start jerking the chain (no puns).

Finally, all of a sudden the clutch seized, and I had to go neutral to the side of the road.

By the way, it's a 2002 R1.

On inspection, the clutch plates are fine and the starter clutch drive gear turns counterclockwise freely and engages clockwise. Also, all of the bearings are fine.

The only thing I found was the Thrust washer had seized (partially welded itself) to the clutch parts.

I tried to clean it up with wet and dry so that it was flat once again and reinstalled.

Didn't last long :( Seized again.

Do I have to replace all three parts (the clutch boss, clutch housing and the thrust washer)? Or can I simply replace the Thrust washer?

Or is there something else that can cause it to seize (apart from the items I have checked)?

2. sounds like you're on the right track with diagnosis, I can't tell you any more without looking at it. But I will say this: entire clutch assemblies do come up cheap at wreckers/eBay, so keep an eye out. I just got a whole new basket with everything but the plates for less than a hundred bucks delivered.