Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

clutch playing, gear changing.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by toisanact, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I just got my first ever bike 2 days ago.

I realised I play with the clutch slowly up and down + throttle to have a smoother transitions between the gears, does this damage the clutch/gear box? I have no idea if what i'm doing is right or wrong or damaging the bike.

Whats the correct way, slowly let go of the clutch out or in, not in and out right?

2. I'm guessing you're talking about slipping the clutch between changes to make it smoother? In that case, it'd just be more wear on the clutch. Try to rpm match more between shifts. So if you're shifting up you'll want to drop the revs so you can basically drop the clutch so you're not slipping it so much. It's all about metering throttle and such. Shouldn't have to slip the clutch on upshifts, the gearbox can handle a harder shift.

Downshifting slipping the clutch is fine. Rpm matching means you have to slip it less and less. Just plan ahead when down shifting and blip the throttle when you pull the clutch in. Compared to a car its alot going on but if you've ever driven a manual car hard you'd be used to it. After some practice it'll be something you do without thinking.

That said, I snap my throttle hard shut and barely use the clutch to upshift. Unloads the driven train and should allow it to slip into gear easier. But thats just me.

3. Nothing terrifyingly wrong with skipping the clutch, but it will ultimately grow into a major flaw in your riding technique, so it is not something you should aim to do all the time.
    As your experience grows and you are able to 'rev match' correctly, it is unecessary, except for when taking off intially, or during low speeds in car park manouvering etc, where you may need to slip it against a little back brake ONLY for your low/low speeds.
    Normally, you should'nt need to slip the clutch when changing gears.

Like everything else, the clutch is another tool of the trade, which needs to be mastered, like anything else for proper bike control. So playing around with it at this early stage, could help you to become familiar to the friction points at different revs, etc.
    But beware of forming bad habits early on. They are hard to get rid of.