Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch plates stuck...uh oh..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by thecptn, Dec 26, 2007.

1. A friend and I decided to pull the XS650 out of the garage and give her a bit of juice, after a few turns she fired into life, we let her warm up for a good few minutes, since it was a nice day we also thought it would be a good idea to take her for a spin around the block.. okay, front brake on...clutch in, gear down into first....CLUNK SHUDDER *engine turns off abruptly* strange! so we try many times with the same result, so we try to push her in gear with the clutch engaged, the bloody thing wont budge! the clutch plates have siezed from unuse! quick spock! how does one...unstick the clutch plates? need help :(

And to top of it off, the original owner calls up to see how the old bird is going, usual chit chat, he than mentions..."sorry mate, forgot to tell ya...theres engine flush in the motor" :shock: I know it doesn't sound much...but the motor has been sitting there for months with the flush still in it, only with the occasional monthly start, I don't want to sound pedantic, is there any harm with leaving engine flush in for such long periods of time?

Thanks

2. can you select neautral? and push the bike around free-wheeling it?

yes, engine flush can have catastrophic effects on your bikes internals, as it is not (really) able to offer the amount of lubrication required.
    I'm leaning towards you motor being seized, seizing clutch plates is very, very uncommon.

3. :wink:

4. :shock: well thats not good, yeah I can move it in neutral.

5. :roll:

yeah, err, that was before it clunked in to not-goingness

;) ;)

6. :eek:
    :wink: :p

Thecptn: Pull the spark plug(s) out, and see if it'll roll in gear. If it's "clutch/gearbox seized", you should be able to roll it around in gear. If it's "engine seized", you're not going anywhere.

7. Cheers mate, gave that ago, pulled the plugs out, in gear and pushed, it moved, though quite hard to move, but moved non the less, you could hear pistons moving up and down, so that rules out siezed engine *phew!*

8. Phew.. :grin:

Now, bearing in mind that I have a limited amount of mechanical nous, my next step would be to drain the oil/flush out of the engine, take the clutch cover off, and have a look at the basket.

Rusty? Get a big hammer. Not rusty? Pull it apart piece by piece (it'd be nice if you had a service manual), and see if you can see what's wrong.

Hopefully someone who's seen the inside of a bike clutch before comes along soon and takes over.. :oops:

9. from memory, the XS650 has a wet clutch, replace teh oil, and you may be lucky.

the flush certainly wouldnt allow the clutch to operate normally. do this prior to ripping her appart.

10. The biggest problem is the flushing oil and its lack of real lubrication for the rest of the engine. Get rid of it and fill with good oil.

The seized clutch is the next problem. Most probably the friction plates have reacted with the metal plates (often there is a rust reaction between the two when this occurs) and they can be very firmly stuck together. The lack of proper oil won't have helped, but even good oil-in-engines suffer from stuck clutches at times.

Are you absolutely sure that the clutch arm is working down on the gearbox? Often you can see enough through the oil filler hole (which is usually right beside the clutch) to know if the clutch outer pressure plate is being withdrawn as you pull the lever.

If you cannot see, but can feel resistance as you pull the lever, it most probably is working and you will have to pull the clutch cover off. You then undo the 4 or 5 clutch spring nuts and remove the plates. The clutch spring nuts have a detent locking mechanism to prevent them unscrewing in use, and this makes them tricky to unscrew at first.

All the best

Trevor G

PS For Joel - almost all motorcycles since the year dot (how about 1950 for a start) use a wet, multiplate clutch. I can only think of two that use dry clutches - the 1967 Bridgestone 350GTR and some current Ducatis. I'm sure there are more.

Apart, that is, from longitudinal crank engines with shaft drive and dry single plate, automotive style clutches like BMW and Moto Guzzi.

11. Last time I had to deal with a seized up clutch, we sort of had to shock it out. Fresh oil will probably help it not to seize again, but to start with you might have to start the bike in neutral, jam it into gear from a roll, and work the gearbox up and down with the motor and wheels spinning until it loosens up.

In my case, with Roarin's help, it un-gummed itself fairly smartly.

12. I hope you mean: push the bike to start it rolling and ease it into gear. Then pull the clutch and use the brakes to try to break the stiction.

It's all very brutal and will always leave some awful scars behind. Maybe another prompt oil change will remove the grit which is released...

Cheers

Trevor G

13. IMHO after buying a secondhand bike, change all fluids, and oil filter, and check the air cleaner. It's cheap and good insurance.

14. I agree GG. I do it to new ones too.

15. Thanks for the advice every one, I wont be able to do any thing until I get a new set of tools, the majority of mine are busted or missing. :(