Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch lever killing my hand

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bikergamerwriter, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Hello.

Recently I got the clutch done on my Z750 including a new cable. Before the new cable was installed the take up/friction point was way back towards my grip, so I didn't have to reach out with my fingers to grab it, but now it's all the way out. Not a problem except now it causes me really bad burning pain in my knuckles from having to reach out to pull it as opposed to pulling it with my fingers already bent. I've have minor problems with the knuckles on my left hand for a while now but never as bad as this.

I've looked at getting aftermarket adjustable levers, except most of what I've seen only adjust further outwards, and when adjusted all the way in sits no further back than stock. I've called my mechanic about fitting a slightly longer cable but he says not possible. Been told to just harden up and get used to it over time, but that's just like curing tennis elbow by playing more tennis.

As it is now I can't ride it without worrying about doing permanent damage to my hand so any help would be appreciated.
  2. Is there no adjustment you can set on the cable where it is attached to the clutch lever mechanism? (usually some kind of arm that pivots and the wire is attached to the end)

3. you can modify how far back the adjustable levers sit.. takes a little work, but doable

there may also be OEM ones that will fit
  4. Also adjustable levers normally allow you to adjust them way closer to the grip (ie closer to your hand) than normal. I have fitted some to my Duke 390 and my MV and in both cases they have made things more comfortable
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1