Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch in 1st???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ZXRpilot, Jun 30, 2005.

1. HI all,
    When i put my zxr250 into first when its not running, and pull the clutch in there is alot of resistance.. Its still movable, compared to say 1st gear no clutch,but fairly difficult to move around. I thought it should just roll as if it was in neutral? If there is a problem, what could it be, and how can i fix it? Thanks in advance.

2. Nah, that's normal & nothing to worry about. All bikes are like that.
  3. The resistance is there because you are turning the gears in the engine when you push the bike around. The clutch only separates the gearbox from the crankshaft.
  4. This points to a huge problem. Essentially your clutch plates sound like they have worn out the traction widgets destroying your bottom end bearings which is causing the resistance when you push the bike around. If left on it's own this will destroy your crank and possibly lock your rear wheels whilst your riding. I'd as soon as possible dismantle the bike and remove the engine. You can either try and repair the one you have or maybe you'll find a second hander. Outside of that I think someone once mentioned that a Jenome 600 sowing machine engine bolts straight up.
  5. Depends what you mean by a lot of resistance...
  6. Its hard to push around but still possible, pretty much
  7. Are you an experienced rider?
    Is this a new problem (was it easier before)?

If this is the first time you have tried pushing a bike in gear with the clutch in I'd still be inclined to think that it is just you getting used to the bike. Try the same with another bike to get an idea of comparison.
    If you are a relatively experienced owner or are used to other bikes being easier, it could be just a simple matter of a poorly adjusted clutch.

Pushing a bike 'on the clutch' certainly would be more of an effort than pushing a bike around that is not in gear.
  8. Im a new rider, tis my first bike.
    Wouldnt know if this was a new problem, just experienced it be4.
    Yer just had a play with my dads bike, same sorta thing.
    Alls fine i think..
  9. Anyone know what the deal is when a bike gets hard to push around in neutral? No audible sounds of resistence coming from anywhere that I can find
  10. I'm pretty sure its something to do with the 'wet' cluch on most bikes isn't it? All the oil draining off or something??

I thought all bikes did it when cold, once its been rode for a tiny bit all seems good.
  11. Put some oil in front of the rear tyre and show it whose boss.
  12. You've been pushing for too long and your legs are gettin' tired :LOL:
  13. Tires are flat?! :LOL:

14. hahahah :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  15. Could be low air pressure in your tyres, or your brakes binding a little (& need cleaning), or a manky chain....
  16. Chain is far too tight, or bearings are stuffed?
    I give up ... what is the deal? :)
  17. bwahahahahhahahahaha :LOL:

you're an asshole pete :LOL: :LOL:

but funny :wink: could all this be caused by faulty muffler bearings? or maybe using too heavy a grade of headlight fluid?

:LOL: :LOL:
  18. It will be your airbags, for sure, I can come around and examine them for you, free of charge, anytime.
  19. cold oil , sticking to clutch plates, or is it hard to push along after engine is warm?????????????????
  20. My son-in-law's ZZR250 is having exactly the same problem. His mechanic suggested that it is because the motor floods when it doesn't start straight away and some unburnt fuel pressurises the crankcase. It sounds bizzare to me, but that's what he said.