Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch Friction Point Driving me NUTS!! - Ninja 250 2008

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wonderboy4, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Hi,

I'm wondering if I can adjust the clutch friction point on my Ninja 250 (2008). It just feels all wrong and is for me is really uncomfortable to use in that way and does not give me confidence when changing gears

. Currently it is right at the end of releasing the lever before it will engage (last 10-15 percent). What I want is for the friction point to be closer to the hand grip, say about half way before it starts to engage rather than it nearly being fully released before it grips.

Can this be done with the adjusters next to the lever or do I have to do something else? And if so wich way to I twist them?

Also my bike has only done 2800km so I'm guessing/hoping it has nothing to do with clutch wear.

Does anyone have expirience with this??

Thanks heaps!
  2. Turn the the lever adjuster in (clockwise). Make sure the clutch still fully disengages when the lever is pulled in. The manual specifies 2-3mm play in the lever so it's up to you if you change it.
  3. Well there's your problem...your clutch friction point should be driving your wheels.

Anyhoo, as suggested, use the cable clutch adjuster on the clutch lever to allow more slack in the cable. This will give you more play before your squeezing action starts to disengage the clutch.
  4. Is a 'Ninja' ,a GPX, GPz, ZX***R, ZXR, ZZR, Z, or ZXRR?

5. Um....Ninja 250R, the new one (EX250J8F)

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I will try what you said first chance and report back, glad to hear that adjusting cable tension will make a difference, keen to see the results.

6. Funny this should come up.

First service for my bike and the same thing was done when they did their checking and adjusting. Virtually had to release the clutch before it engaged. I like it about half way.

Second service Friday, told them not to touch it as I had it set how I liked it and guess what, same thing... ](*,)

Lucky it's only a 30 second adjustment but geez people don't listen sometimes....