Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

clutch fix - whole kit or just plates??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ex-static, Apr 15, 2012.

1. just wondering if its more advisable to fix the blown clutch on my 00 cbr600f4 with a full clutch kit or if replacing just friction plates and springs will do...??

2. full plate set is a clutch kit...........

dont need to replace the basket unless there is something wrong with it, which i doubt.
    and if there was it would most likely have done more damage then just the clutch
  3. whenever people talk about doing the clutch, I tell them "just do the friction plates." and they say "nah, if I'm going to do it I might as well do the whole thing." but that's cars, slightly harder to get to the clutch lol.
    I reckon with motorcycles, just do the plates. that's all your really need to do AFAIK.
  4. A workshop manual will tell you how to check the spring plate.

Of course that's a pain if you find one that needs replacing and it's 3 weeks wait.

Unless it's really big ks, I'd probably just go the friction plates.
  5. Usually a set of friction plates and springs is all that's needed. If the clutch has been real hot though, the clutch plates may be warped too. I have personally decided to replace the lot previously for a better job and peace of mind. Look for scoring on the basket itself caused by the plates and replace it if necessary.