Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch damage

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Orb, Apr 27, 2012.

1. G'day again guys and girls.
    Found this damage on the clutch pressure plates in both X7's when I opened them up last.

Looks like the springs have jumped around and chiselled out the marks you can see. The engine with more K's had this up half the "spring well", the other about 1/4 the way. The wear is consistent across the wells of each plate so I don't think it's the odd loose spring.
    So anybody got an idea what's causing it and how I can stop it happening to the new clutch plate when the engine goes back together?
    Cheers :)

2. That's an odd one. It looks like the spring isn't being properly located and is also bearing directly on the aluminium step at the bottom of the bore. This leads me to suspect that there's a spacer or washer of some kind that is missing from under the springs. I'd expect something made of pressed steel and sorta top-hat shaped to fit between the bottom of the spring and the alloy and to centralise the spring on the post that, I assume, runs up the middle.

I'm only speculating though. It's a long time since I saw the inside of a clutch in anger :D.
  3. Yeah, a post runs up the middle. Checked the exploded diagrams, no washers or spacers under the springs. I'm hopeing a new set of dampeners for the innermost fiber plate might help alleviate the problem.
  4. Spoke to a mechanic today, he reckons it's from the basket moving around sideways. I will have to check the fit on the shaft, I bet the bushing has to much wear.
    And we both jumped out of our skins then an old CBR250RR with crook coils did the mother of backfires behind us :LOL: