Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch cables

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by SuiCid3, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bike noob here.
    Been starting to do a bit of maintenance on the bike but I'm still learning. :)
    The clutch cable on my FZR250 snapped yesterday... :(
    So I've been trying to figure out how to fix it and came to the conclusion that I need to replace the whole cable.
    It snapped from the lever...

Are all clutch cables universal or do I need a specific kind for my FZR?
  2. The length will change from bike to bike.

Just call a few shops, tell them your bike model and get some prices
  3. +1 exactly what i would have said, if the shop owners nice he might even tell you quickly how to put it in too
  4. Correct! While you're there get a pressure cable luber, about $10, & keep it maitained, it will last a lot longer!

Expect to pay around $30 for a new cable, it will be specific to your bike.
  5. Just a slight side track.

Is it best replace the cable every couple of years instead of waiting for it to snap? If so whats a good approx.
  6. If you keep it maintained it should last indefinitely, they usually don't have much strain on them... IME. Good to have a spare kicking around though, just incase!
  7. Thanks fellas. :)

Will start making some calls now.
  8. plennnnnty of bike/car shops make these sorts of cables all the time, for handbrakes etc as well. If all else fails start calling garages. Performance garages especially should have the tools, with all the conversions they do etc.

I believe its like, a half hour job to fab one up. if that. cheap es.