Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch broken...?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by gbren, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

So a friend of mine was helping me change the levers on my bike, while he was adjusting the clutch lever I hear a big click like a tool hitting the floor. After he says its all good I jump on and try to use the clutch and its gone completely loose and doesn't regain tension anymore :(

The tension is lost at the end of the cable where it goes into the gearbox.

My questions are, anyone know what may have happened...? Is this expensive to fix...? Can I do it myself...?

Cheers for help!
  2. so is the cable just broken?

whats the bike?
  3. The cable is fine, its the part that comes vertially out of the gearbox that won't twist back..

Hyosung GT250R
  4. snapped return spring?
  5. Mmm can I fix myself...?
  6. 2 things. If youre not confident enough to replace the levers on your own, I'd be wary about attempting anything else.
    If you mean 'Fix' yourself not 'fix the bike' yourself, you can buy a do it yourself vasectomy kit, comes with a plastic knife and crochet hook.. My freinds all chipped in a got one for me for my 45th birthday.
  7. "do it yourself vasectomy kit"

Have used one of these on the neighbours cat, now it looks like foot69's avatar.
  8. Real friends would have bought the deluxe version
  9. Most of them are cheap barstads.. :beer:
  10. The clutch lever basically presses in on a big spring that provides the pressure for the clutch plates. If that arm coming out of the basket isn't "returning" then something bad has happened inside the clutch. Just double check the cable first.

As said previously, if you aren't all that comfertable with a spanner, it's probably a job for someone else.

11. Cheers for the confidence :p

I'm personally quite handy with mechanical things and the help i got from my friend has put me in this pickle but anyways...

My "knowledgable" friend who was helping me with the lever change will not be present when having a look at this clutch problem, I've found a service manual and will haev a look into this.

Shall let you know how it goes.
  12. Agreed. I would check the cable very carefully first. If it isn't that, then I'd start looking at getting a bike mechanic involved.
  13. Theres a chance the cable has come loose from the bottom actuator as well. When theres no tension on it some of them can.
    Not knowing anything about your bike I cant tell, Although from the google pics it looks like it could.