Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch always on

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sydrider, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

This might be a stupid question.

At sets of traffic lights, I've found that I prefer to keep the clutch lever
    pulled in all the time in first gear. Then when the lights turn green I can just release to friction point, apply throttle, release rear brake and roll off.

Is this bad for the clutch? Or is this normal for bike riders to do at sets of lights?

2. That's what I do as well, well unless it's a really long set of lights.

The clutch issue was discussed last week. Do a hunt around for a thread titled "Do you put your left or right foot down?". I'm pretty sure all the clutch issues were sorted in that thread...
  3. It used to be a bit of a worry with older bikes, where clutch wires didnt' last as long and leaving it under tension increased the possibility of a wire snap.

I don't think you have to worry about it on more modern bikes, Cables don't fail all that often.

/I stick it in neutral and clutch out anyway, hands get tired in traffic.
  4. Is there another way of doing it :?:
  5. Yep, turn bike off get off and go sit in the airconditioned car next to you (well at least that's what I've been tempted to do the last few really hot days :LOL:).
  6. It's not just the inconvenience of a broken cable, its having the bike lurch forward a few feet into the cross traffic.

There is also the issue of wear and tear on the clutch itself. With the clutch lever in, there is a fair bit of pressure on the thrust bearing. Remaining stationary with the clutch in will cause it to wear faster. Popping it into neutral and releasing the clutch takes all the pressure off.

This needs to be balanced against the possibility that you might need to escape at short notice from some moron about to rear-end you.

I usually roll up to the lights in gear, leave the bike in gear for a few seconds, than when I am pretty sure I am out of danger of being rear-ended, and the lights aren't about to change, I drop it into neutral and rest the clutch for a bit.
  7. ...what Moike said.

You would probably have no choice but to go to neutral with a bike that had a heavy clutch... like the early Sprint Triumphs.... unless of course you wanted a left hand that would end up looking like it had gigantism!
  8. If the lights or stop is short, clutch in, if longer I put in neutral and have a streatch and a perv.
  9. Yeah... that too.
  10. I had a Laverda Twin. One of the old ones with the mans clutch. None of this lights switch like, pussy Japanese stuff.

To make matters worse, once the bike was warmed up, you had to find neutral on the move. So you had to be in neutral before you stopped at the lights. Half the time you got it, the other half you sat ther swearing at the bike, because your forarm was killing you.

I looked like a bloody crab, with my left arm bigger then the right.

I still tend to put it in neutral at the lights. Less wear and tear, because bike clutches never really lift properly like car clutches, rather they slip.
  11. Thats probably the best way to do it but im paranoid so i refuse to ever take a car bike out of gear when on the road. Like to think that milli second ill save might count for somethin when making an esacape :wink: ...
  12. I used to have same problem finding neutral whilst stationary on the Duke SS I had and it had a quite heavy clutch. Then somebody said try kicking up to second and tapping down to neutral. Easier than trying to find neutral from first. I tried that and it worked much better. Cos otherwise you would eventually find neutral just as the light went from Red to Green...