Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clutch Adjustment on a Suzuki Across

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Ringo, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Hi There, I'm a new (though not in years!) rider, having just got my learner's a couple of weeks ago, and promptly bought a Suzuki Across (yeah I know, it's a manbag) a couple of days later. (The storage compartment was actually a deciding factor for me since I'm a sometimes freelance photographer, and it seemed like an ideal place to keep the camera where it's handy).
    Anyway, my only complaint with the bike is that the clutch doesn't engage until the lever's almost completely released. While this makes it great for fast gear changes when I'm riding, it kinda sucks when I'm trying to do slow-speed work since I'm never quite sure how far I've pulled it in.

Is this a sign of a buggered clutch, or is it something that's adjustable? I'm happy to play around with it to get it right, but thought I'd better ask someone smarter in these things than I before I do.

2.  Top
  3. You can adjust the clutch by turning the round clutch adjuster which is just above the base of the clutch lever :)

4. Do you mean clutch cable adj, or actual clutch adjustment?

The cable is adjusted as per Flippers post , the clutch freeplay is different.

IIRC you remove the lower fairing, below where the clutch cable enters the crankcase there is a large "plug" with a slot, unscrew this and inside there is a small bolt with just a screw slot, (no head) and a locknut.

Loosen the cable where it enters the crankcase, then loosen the locknut, then lightly screw the bolt in until it just goes "firm" (do it a coupla times to get the feel), then back off a 1/4 turn and while holding the screw in that position, tighten the locknut.

Then adjust the cable to give you about 2 mm slack at the lever.

JJ