Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clunk when rear braking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by typhoon, Dec 20, 2005.

1. 1977 Z650 - Have a clunk when I apply my rear brakes. WHen aplied lightly, the clunk is not there, but when moderately or more heavily applied, I get a clunk and an increase in braking. It also throws me on teh seat a little, so it's not a mild clunk. When this happens, the brake pedal has to be pushed further to get braking. The brakes are fine, work quite well apart from this issue.
    The torque link from the rear drum is solid, no movement there, and the swingarm bearings seem fine, no movement when rattled on the centre stand and no weird handling that I can tell.
    Could this be a brake shoe/actuator problem maybe? I'd like to sort thi out before I encounter wet roads!

Regards, Andrew.
  2. Your brake shoes are gone, the clunk you here is the cam over rolling in the housing has the indicator arm to show brake wear been removed ?
  3. Sounds a bit like the torque arm on the backing plate has some movement somewhere. Worn bolt holes maybe? On second thoughts -does it have a torque arm or does the backing plate have a slot in it that matches a lug on the swing arm? This could also be worn.
  4. The useful range indicator on the brakes is right in the middle of the range. I'll get down there this evening with a long pry bar and see what's up I suppose.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Sorted. The front mount of the brake torque link had a bolt that was not round any more. The bolt was not super tight, and I guess lots of little movements over the years wore a groove into teh bolt where the torque link was.
    New bolt and all is well.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Too easy hey :LOL: :LOL:
  7. Yeah, nice to have a simple one for once!

Regards, Andrew.
  8. If it's not one of the above it could be the pad friction area, where the shoe rubs on the inside of the caliper. There may be a burr or step that is resisting the shoe movement across it.