Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clunk Clunk

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by MitchnZara, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Greetings,

And sorry for posting so soon after my previous thread, however I'm a bit sensitive / observant to things that just don't seem quite 'right'.

I've been practising for my MOST. Lots of low speed maneuvering etc.

I'm finding sometimes, NOT everytime, that at low RPM - Basically idle - and a bit of load on the bike I'm getting a clunk, clunk, clunk. I can both hear and feel it - Really obvious, the whole bike clunks with it. It's also rythmic, and each clunk is perfectly timed from the one previous. Is it my clutch? I'm not getting any other dramas at other RPM or speed that would indicate it's the clutch slipping. Furthermore, it's not like the bike is stalling.

Odd, but with MOST coming up I don't want to get there and an instructor goes 'whoa, whoa, stop right there'.

2. sounds like the engine lugging... give it more throttle.

3. Older ZZR, check your chain and sprockets, could also be a cush drive in the rear wheel a bit dodgy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hey Guys - I'll also report that it is happening at faster idle as well - ~7k rpm. So it doesn't seem to be the entine trying to go and just wobbling :).

Chain is fairly worn but no stiff links. Sprockets look okay. Will have to pull apart to make sure though. So these are my main worries ATM?

5. could the chain be too loose? just throwing it out there. where abouts does the clunk seem to come from, and what exactly are you practising when this happens?

6. Idle at 7k rpm? :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. How serious is the clunk.

8. Faster idle - To ride the clutch with higher revs using rear brake to control speed - term 'idle' is probably misused.

9. The clunk is quite loud and you can feel it through the whole bike - Hands on handlebars, feet on pegs and butt on seat.

Checked the chain - It's smack bang in the normal operating parameters.

The sound is definitely coming from the engine - Can feel it more in my feet on the pegs than anywhere else. Am doing the slow speed maneuvering that they taught us on the pre-learners. Where you ride the clutch and control speed via the rear brake.

Maybe it's just normal for my bike?

10. is it bike speed related or engine speed related.

So rolling along at 60 (say), if you pull the clutch in and play with the throttle, does the nose change or stay the same?

11. It's only ever done it at low (and I mean LOW) speeds. Haven't got any issues at other speeds.

The only reason it's been even noticed by me is because I've been practicising the balancing act of clutch, throttle and rear brake. Maybe I'm just being picky over something that is technically normal behaviour

12. No offense mate, this is something I noticed in the other thread, but you really need to answer the question you were asked, not the question you thought you were asked.

It's the only way you will get a diagnosis over the web.

Like I noted, no offense intended, just an observation.

So at low speed, if you pull in the clutch, does the noise go away, slow down or remain the same?

Is it present whilst stationary?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. im leaning towards front sprocket.... have you taken off the cover and checked it or just the back one?

aside from that.. what @ibast said. you need to answer the specific question cause youve posted theres a noise coming from your motorbike about 4 times but not given us any decent info we can work from.

14. Not present whilst stationary. Only whilst moving at slow speeds. Pulling in clutch does make it go away.

15. Haven't checked front sprocket - Just the rear one. Will check front sprocket and see how it looks.

16. and does it slow down? or change if you raise/lower revs with the clutch in?

If not, then a front sprocket or a tight link in the chain is the likely culprit.

I've found that rolling down a hill with you helmet off and the bike off, will quickly give you and idea of what is going on.

If it's not a tight link in the chain, or the front sprocket, then it's likely the output bearing on your gearbox.

The other time I've seen this is the joining link going partially astray.

Check alignment of the rear wheel too. You could have a chain trying to climb out of a sprocket or a cush drive going in and out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. It makes it go faster if revs are raised. And slower if revs dropped. With clutch in and change of revs - no change.

Still haven't checked front sprocket. It's first on my to do list.

Rear wheel is in alignment - No issues there. The chain isn't trying to jump off or anything.

Will give the rolling down a hill trick a try before I look at the sprocket.
    Cheers.

18. im betting its the front sprocket. :nailbiting:

19. OK this tells us it's not in the engine so it must be somewhere from the gearbox output shaft through to the back wheel.

tight spot on the chain or front sprocket are the likely culprits, so start there.

20. Well, gave my mate a ride today... And he dropped it going round a corner at (he says) 30km/h. So the bike has a few more issues as of now :( Ah well, crap happens.